Jennifer Lawrence risked burns to film The Hunger Games
Jennifer Lawrence had quite the time of it while filming The Hunger Games. Sure, some of the crazy things Katniss Everdeen faced in The Arena were special effects, but not all of it. Find out how director Gary Ross created a realistic look with fire in this special feature from the upcoming DVD release.
Yes! The Hunger Games will finally get a DVD and BluRay release on August 18 — and its chock full of special bonus features that go on behind the scenes during filming. The biggest takeaway: Star Jennifer Lawrence had to really work while playing Katniss Everdeen. The blonde actress had to literally run next to propane tanks that spewed fire on command — and it was hot.
The worst part (for Lawrence)? Everyone was else was safe while she faced the line of fire.
"My memories are everybody saying, 'get back, get back!' And me standing there where nobody else is allowed to stand and I’m like, 'What about me?!'" she joked in the clip.
Other special features slated for the DVD include:
- The World Is Watching: Making of The Hunger Games — An eight-part series that shows the entire filming process, from pre- to post-production
- Game Maker: Suzanne Collins and The Hunger Games Phenomenon short feature
- Letters from the Rose Garden feature — a look at how Donald Sutherland approached his role as President Snow
- An interview with Gary Ross and Elvis Mitchell
- The Capitol propaganda film
It sounds like it'll be better than the first film, according to Lawrence.
"The new movie will be very real, which is what I’m excited about,” she told the paper. "I really like [new director] Francis Lawrence's take, which is a lot of what I liked in Gary Ross," she recently told The Los Angeles Times.
We. Can't. Wait.