Radiohead mourns death of crew member crushed during stage collapse

Jun 18, 2012 at 9:49 a.m. ET

More than 40,000 fans were expected to attend Radiohead's concert at Toronto's Downsview Park Saturday night. But plans took a devastating turn after a massive stage crumbled on top of a veteran drum tech who worked with several other notable Brit groups, including Keane and Portishead.

Radiohead Stage Collapse

This Father's Day members of Brit band Radiohead posted an online tribute to a crew member crushed while setting up for a concert in Toronto Saturday afternoon.

"We have all been shattered by the loss of Scott Johnson, our friend and colleague," a statement on the group's website read. "He was a lovely man, always positive, supportive and funny, a highly skilled and valued member of our great road crew.

"We will miss him very much."

The collapse also sent one other crew member to the hospital, and two more were treated at the scene of the accident -- at Downsview Park.

The BBC reports Johnson, 33, also worked with what at least one friend called an "endless" list of bands.

"His CV has every band worth their salt on it," the tech's Doncaster-based drum teacher said. "A lot of British bands and world-class bands."

And many of those bands also paid tribute to their former colleague, with Portishead tweeting: "Shocking to hear the passing of crew member Scott Johnson of the Radiohead tour. My thoughts and condolences are with everyone involved."

Another Brit group, Elbow, tweeted: "RIP Scott Johnson. Lost a great mate and true pro. A kinder bloke you could not meet."

Shortly after news of the story broke late Saturday, there was speculation that strong winds brought the massive structure down.

Intense wind gusts were responsible for another devastating stage collapse, which killed and injured dozens of people gathered for a Sugarland concert at the Indiana State Fair last year.

This week it's a different story. Several media outlets are reporting that authorities don't believe Mother Nature had anything to do with the collapse, which happened while the crew was hanging metal work.

Officials are instead looking how improper staff training, safety regulations and standards may have played a part.

Image courtesy of Nick Pickles/