The American Bandstand frontman launched countless careers and shaped the musical education of today’s performers, from Glee singers to Grammy winners.
Once they heard that Dick Clark passed away early today from a heart attack, celebrities have taken to Twitter to offer their condolences and share their favorite memories of the American Bandstand frontman.
Seasoned musicians mourned the industry’s loss. Russell Simmons tweeted, “Dick Clark was eternally young. No matter what culturally phenomenon was happening, he always embraced it. RIP…” Fergie also commented, “Dick Clark will be truly missed. We will carry on his legacy every New Year’s Eve.”
Gloria Estefan also said, “Not 2 many people actually deserve the term ‘legend,’ Dick Clark embodied it & never lost his humility or humanity. We will miss him! Our sincerest condolences to Dick Clark’s wife, Kari, his family & all who loved & admired him which includes the whole Estefan clan!”
The singing actors of Glee also chimed in with their condolences. Harry Shum Jr. tweeted, “So sad to hear about Dick Clark’s passing. New Years Eve won’t be the same without him. An icon that will be missed.”
Kevin McHale wrote, “Dick Clark, what a legend. Changed TV & Music forever. You will be missed Mr. Clark!” and Matthew Morrison added, “A sad day as we have lost Dick Clark, an American Icon. You will be missed.”
The tributes continue to pour in on Twitter from performers and other parts of Hollywood as well:
- Snoop Dogg: “REST IN PEACE to the DICK CLARK!! U were pioneer n a good man!! Thank u sir”
- Backstreet Boys: “Our hearts go out 2 Dick Clark’s family. The memories u’ve created will live forever & r experiences w/ u is something we will cherish 4 all r lives.”
- Michelle Williams of Destiny’s Child: “Sad to hear about the passing of Dick Clark! His contribution to music and the platform he gave people will always be remembered.”
- Blake Shelton: “So proud I had the chance to shake hands with Dick Clark in my lifetime… Great man..”
- Neil Patrick Harris: “For ever, Dick Clark… So long.”
- Seth Green: “So saddened by Dick Clark’s passing- an innovator, a legend, a man who believed in the greatness of humans.
- Lance Bass: “Farewell to one of my all time idols Dick Clark- genius pioneer in music/television and just a great guy! You will be missed!”
- Nick Lachey: “So sorry to hear about the passing of the incomperable Dick Clark. Few people have left such an impression on our industry as he did!
- Leah Remini: “R.I.P Dick Clark; As a child American Bandstand was a big part of my life as an adult-spent many a New Years Eve w, him like many others :(“
- Sean Hayes: “R.I.P. Dick Clark. Thanks for bringing music into our homes via TV and