The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced nominations for the 84th Annual Oscars on Tuesday. Silent-era film The Artist and Martin Scorsese’s 3D adventure Hugo lead the pack of nominees.
It’s Oscars season at last!
The nominees for the 2012 Academy Awards were revealed on Tuesday. And they’re pretty much in sync with all the critics’ picks so far.
Jennifer Lawrence arrived at the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences’ Samuel Goldwyn Theater in Beverly Hills bright and early this morning to deliver the hot showbiz news. The Hunger Games actress and Academy president Tom Sherak unveiled nominations in 24 categories to the glee of sleepy film buffs.
Martin Scorsese’s lavish 3D adventure Hugo leads the nominations pack. The film won 11 Oscar nominations and managed to edge out a silent movie favorite.
That film, The Artist, ran second, earning 10 nods for Hollywood’s top cinema awards.
George Clooney claims no Oscar rivalry with “buddy” Brad Pitt >>
Brad Pitt’s baseball movie Moneyball and Steven Spielberg’s equine epic War Horse tied for the title of third most-nominated movie at this year’s Academy Awards. Each film got six nods apiece.
Elsewhere on the list of nominees, two-time Oscar winner Streep is up for a Best Actress prize for her portrayal of former British prime minister Margaret Thatcher in The Iron Lady. Meryl further padded her record as the most-nominated actress in show biz history, raising her career total to 17 hat-tips.
Here are the nominees in the major categories:
Best Actor in a Leading Role:
- Demian Bichir, A Better Life
- George Clooney, The Descendants
- Jean Dujardin, The Artist
- Brad Pitt, Moneyball
- Gary Oldman, Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
Best Actor in a Supporting Role:
- Kenneth Branagh, My Week with Marilyn
- Nick Nolte, Warrior
- Christopher Plummer, Beginners
- Max von Sydow, Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close
- Jonah Hill, Moneyball
Best Actress in a Leading Role:
- Glenn Close, Albert Nobbs
- Viola Davis, The Help
- Rooney Mara, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
- Meryl Streep, The Iron Lady
- Michelle Williams, My Week with Marilyn
Best Actress in a Supporting Role:
- Bérénice Bejo, The Artist
- Jessica Chastain, The Help
- Melissa McCarthy, Bridesmaids
- Octavia Spencer, The Help
- Janet McTeer, Albert Nobbs
- The Artist
- The Descendants
- The Help
- Midnight in Paris
- War Horse
- Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close
- The Tree of Life
- Michel Hazanavicius, The Artist
- Alexander Payne, The Descendants
- Martin Scorsese, Hugo
- Woody Allen, Midnight in Paris
- Terrence Malick, The Tree of Life
Oscar snubs, surprises? Where’s Leonardo DiCaprio? What about Tilda Swinton?
The 84th Annual Academy Awards will air live from Hollywood’s Kodak Theatre on ABC, Sunday, Feb. 26, at 7 p.m. EST when the nine-time host Billy Crystal will return to the stage to emcee for the first time in eight years.
Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy
Leave a Comment