The Writers Guild has unveiled their nominees for the best screenplays of the year. Comedy heavyweights like Bridesmaids and 50/50 earned nominations, as well as Woody Allen’s Midnight in Paris.
The Writers Guild of America has spoken. They’ve announced their nominees for the 2012 WGA awards.
Similar to the Producers Guild, the WGA helps narrow down possible Oscar contenders. A nomination gets a film one step closer to the Academy.
Here’s the complete list of WGA nominees below:
BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY?
- 50/50, Written by Will Reiser
- Bridesmaids, Written by Annie Mumolo and Kristen Wiig
- Midnight in Paris, Written by Woody Allen
- Win Win, Written by Tom McCarthy; Story by Tom McCarthy and Joe Tiboni
- Young Adult, Written by Diablo Cody
- The Descendants, Screenplay by Alexander Payne and Nat Faxon and Jim Rash; Based on the novel by Kaui Hart Hemmings
- The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Screenplay by Steven Zaillian; Based on the novel by Stieg Larsson
- The Help, Screenplay by Tate Taylor; Based on the novel by Kathryn Stockett
- Hugo, Screenplay by John Logan; Based on the book The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick
- Moneyball, Screenplay by Steven Zaillian and Aaron Sorkin; Story by Stan Chervin; Based on the book by Michael Lewis
- ?Better This World, Written by Katie Galloway and Kelly Duane de la Vega
- If a Tree Falls: A Story of the Earth Liberation Front, Written by Marshall Curry and Matthew Hamachek
- Nostalgia for the Light, Written by Patricio Guzmán
- Pina, Written by Wim Wenders
- Position Among the Stars, Written by Hetty Naaijkens-Retel Helmrich, Leonard Retel Helmrich
- Senna, Written by Manish Pandey