Kate Walsh: My first celebrity crushes
We're celebrating everything boyfriends with Kate Walsh this month at SheKnows. Today she shares her earliest celebrity crushes -- and why she found them so irresistible.
When I was 10, I had posters of Shawn Cassidy and Parker Stevenson over my bed. Every night before I turned out the light and went to sleep I would blow a kiss to each of them. Parker and Shawn were like angels looking over me.
I wish I could say that Shawn Cassidy was my first celebrity crush, but the truth is, I had had my share of celebrity crushes before. Oh, there were others!
Bobby Brady: Loved him
- He had brown hair, blue eyes and eventually wore braces. That was the trifecta of everything hot for me.
- He was the same age as me -- or at least he seemed to be -- so for me, I had a chance with him.
- He had freckles. Did I mention that I love freckles?
- If his blended family could make it, then I had hope for my own future with divorced parents.
- He had a really cool mid-century house with that bitchin' staircase. I wanted to live in that house with him and his cute stepmom Carol and Alice and Sam-the-butcher and the dog, too. I wanted the whole package.
- Also, he seemed to have great relationships with his older siblings, whereas mine alternately smoke pot on the lawn or tortured me.
The bad... or am I bad?
Speed racer and Racer X. I loved them both, equally and in different ways. Creepy, because obviously Racer X was speed's bro. But that didn't matter... I loved them both, dammit!
- Racer X was an outcast -- a loner -- and at age 6, I didn't understand it, but that turned me on.
- Rex Racer had a wicked jawline.
- International spy: come on.
- Great architectural crib.
- Speed had fierce hair, and it always looked good.
- Intense eyes, geez! And when he drove, he was so focused… there's nothing sexier than someone with sick talent.
- You had me at the red bandana.
- Also, Speed's eyelashes were inspirational.
- And, since he was a cartoon character, he had a great complexion.
Let's be clear: I never thought he was ugly, but as soon as I would confess to anyone that I had had a crush on Eddie Munster, they would usually shriek, "Eww, he's so ugly!" But I loved Eddie Munster and thought he was a stone cold fox.
- Brunette, pale skin, blue eyes, freckles… sense a pattern here?
- He was the youngest of his family; I was the youngest.
- He was a vampire and in a family of freaks, I totally identified.
- He had a widow's peak, and so did I, but not as intense as his.
- I thought he had great style and particularly enjoyed his neckties
I had never questioned my taste in men as a child, but now, looking back I definitely see some patterns, some good, some not. But the heart wants what the heart wants.