Clash of the Titans raked in $61.4 in weekend box office receipts to take hold of first place. During the weekend, the Sam Worthington flick played in 3,777 theaters nationwide which included approximately 1,800 3-D locations.
Meanwhile, Tyler Perry’s Why Did I Get Married Too? had an excellent opening weekend with $30.2 million. The Easter weekend proved successful for this relationship movie with a riveting performance by the ensemble cast, most notably Ms Janet Jackson.
In third place, DreamWorks’ 3-D animation feature, How to Train Your Dragon, held with its $29.2 million showing though it dropped from its robust opening weekend. As for fourth place, Miley Cyrus’ movie, The Last Song, took in $16.2 million during its opening weekend. This is higher than anticipated according to industry insiders.
Alice in Wonderland continues to hold its ground in the top ten as it is nestled into fifth place. MGM’s Hot Tub Time Machine fell to sixth place with a 43 percent drop although it still didn’t stop moviegoers from checking out the John Cusack flick that’s a flashback to 1986.
Although The Bounty Hunter is still in the top ten, the time this flick will still be on the top 10, is most likely limited. As for others, She’s Out of My League continues to hold strong as does Leonardo DiCaprio’s Shutter Island.
Box Office recap
1. Clash of the Titans, $61.4 million
2. Tyler Perry’s Why Did I Get Married Too?, $30.1 million
3. How to Train Your Dragon, $29.2 million
4. The Last Song, $16.2 million
5. Alice in Wonderland, $8.2 million
6. Hot Tub Time Machine, $8 million
7. The Bounty Hunter, $6.2 million
8. Diary of a Wimpy Kid, $5.5 million
9. She’s Out of My League, $1.5 million
10. Shutter Island, $1.5 million