Warning: This article contains spoilers for Outlander Season 5, Episode 1, “The Fiery Cross.”
Last night, Outlander returned with our favorite time traveler Claire and her husband Jamie in Colonial America. There are lots of things you need to know about the Outlander season 5 premiere, but let’s quickly recap: Their daughter, Brianna, got married to Roger; Claire and Jamie continue to be #RelationshipGoals except now they’re grandparents; Jocasta & Murtagh hooked up and broke up; not-so-dead Bonnet’s back; Jamie was ordered to kill Murtagh; and a little Revolutionary War is coming for the Frasers. But let’s just say we want more.
Here are the things we want to see this season:
1. Jamie and Claire. PERIODT. (I don’t really know what a T on the end of that means, but it seems to express anger and that’s what I’m going for here). Season 4’s biggest problem was that the show forgot we watch because of Claire and Jamie. Caitriona Balfe and Sam Heughan could probably count potatoes or read a phone book to each other and it would still be interesting.
2. Brianna meeting Jenny — word is actor scheduling prevented that reunion in Season 4, but hopefully they’ll make something happen this season.
3. Claire and Jamie.
4. Less Roger. Or Roger time traveling to 2020, and becoming the Woke White Man I know he can be, before heading back to his Fraser fam.
5. Claire and Jamie.
6. More flashbacks. Since we were all robbed of 20 years of Jamie and Claire being together, it would be great if the show would flashback to some moments in seasons 1 and 2 that we never saw. Luckily, Balfe and Heughan haven’t really aged, so with the proper wigs, it could be 1740 whatever all over again.
7. Claire murdering Bonnet. Technically, either Jamie or Claire doing this could work — or maybe they could “Dougal” him and kill him together. The couple that kills together stays together.
8. There better not be even one episode without Claire and Jamie. Now if anyone deserves a filming break, it’s Caitriona Balfe and Sam Heughan, who have basically rolled in cold mud and rain for the last five years, and made it look sexy AF. But sorry, this show is them. And it’s unacceptable to do even one episode without them. (Looking at you Season 4, episode 7) UNACCEPTABLE.
In a recent panel at 92nd St. Y, Outlander stars Balfe and Heughan said they became producers halfway through filming Season 5, so they were more involved in scripts in the later episodes of the season. The two of them know this show, the audience and their characters the best, so hopefully we will see a return to a strong focus on Jamie and Claire’s relationship.