Meghan Markle’s Father Sounds Totally Unhinged in This New Documentary

It sadly seems there is no longer a real relationship between Meghan Markle and her father Thomas — Meghan cut off contact long ago, and Thomas’s continued comments in the press make it easy to see why. So, why are people still paying this man to weigh in on Meghan’s life decisions? Meghan’s father’s comments in the new documentary Thomas Markle: My Story are not just baseless, they’re downright creepy.

To be clear, Thomas was paid by Channel 5 to appear in the documentary. In fact, monetary gain has always been the goal of Thomas’s actions when it comes to Meghan. Thomas Markle: My Story, released January 22, 2020, featured the Duchess’s father decrying Harry and Meghan’s life choices, confirming he would go against them in court if he had the chance, and insisting that they “owe” him something —  while admitting they’ll likely never speak to him again. Yuck, these moments make use cringe.

 

“The Royals Owe Me”

According to Thomas Markle, it’s not just Meghan who owes him something (“I helped her with every step of her life up to that point,” he says). Instead, Thomas would like to receive his due from Meghan, Harry, and the whole royal family to boot: “They owe me,” he said in the documentary. “The royals owe me, Harry owes me, Meghan owes me. What I’ve been through I should be rewarded for.”

“It’s Time to Look After Daddy”

Apparently, Meghan at some point in her childhood, teenage years, or beyond, told her father she’d look after him in his old age. Of course, young Meghan could never have imagined the circumstances in which they would find themselves when that old age rolled around. Still, for 75-year-old Thomas, that changes nothing: “My daughter told me when I reach my senior years, she’ll take care of me. I’m in my senior years now. I’m 75 years old, so it’s time to look after daddy.”

“It’s Too Bad I Didn’t Die Because Then You Guys Could Pretend You Were Sad”

At another dramatic moment, Thomas describes the last time he spoke to Harry and Meghan. In May 2018, Thomas had been planning to walk Meghan down the aisle but was caught staging paparazzi photos before the big day came. Thomas didn’t attend the wedding, but reportedly due to a heart attack he suffered days earlier and his subsequent admission to the hospital — not necessarily due to his estrangement from Meghan.

Thomas now reports that he last spoke with Harry and Meghan the night before their wedding, and describes the phone call: “Harry said to me: ‘If you had listened to me, this wouldn’t have happened to you.’ If I stayed in the house, and never spoken to anyone this wouldn’t have happened. To me, that was a very rude thing to say, especially when he knew I was lying in a hospital bed. At that point I said to him, ‘It’s too bad I didn’t die because you guys could pretend that you’re sad,’ and then I hung up on them. I was done. That may have caused everything, I don’t know. But I’ve not heard from them or spoken to them since.”

“I don’t think at this point they’re thrilled to see me or want to talk to me,” he later admitted. “The last time they might see me is being lowered into the ground.”

“It’s Become an Organized Defamation of Me”

Thomas hit on another big point of contention with the Sussexes too: their lawsuit against UK publications like the Mail on Sunday for the publication of a private letter Meghan sent to her father. The Mail‘s defense team has indicated they may call on Thomas as a witness against Meghan, and it’s clearly a sore spot for him too. He says he was disappointed when he first read the contents of the letter: “There is no love and no thought of concern for me in this letter,” he recalls thinking. “I felt like shit. I just wanted to hear something positive and it wasn’t.”

He says he published the letter after a People interview claimed Meghan had reached out to make peace with him — which he felt didn’t accurately represent the contents of the letter. “I kept that letter for about six months and then these lies started coming out…They dissed me, calling me a liar… It’s become an organized defamation of me. So I felt I had to defend myself, so I published part of the letter.”

“He’s Not 12 Years Old Anymore, He’s Got No Right to Be This Sensitive”

Oh, and Thomas has an opinion on how Harry announced they were suing British tabloids, too. “He’s not 12 years old anymore,” he said of Harry’s emotional speech reflecting on how the media had hounded his late mother. “He’s got no right to be this sensitive.”

“I’ll Do Future Things and Be Paid For It, I Think”

Finally, Thomas has made it clear that he has absolutely no intention of slowing down, as long as there’s a paycheck. Asked whether he was still making money off the staged photos that cost him his relationship with Meghan, he replied: “Absolutely. Because those pictures will sell forever.”

Comments