Netflix just revealed its most popular movies and shows of 2019, and it’s surprising for a few reasons. For starters, the streaming service is notoriously cloak-and-dagger when it comes to sharing viewership and ratings data. But also, it’s shocking to see — or, rather, not see — some of the titles that failed to make the most-watched list!
So, how did this information become public knowledge? Netflix released its third-quarter earnings report for the year. In it, they chronicled the movies and shows with the highest viewership in their first four weeks after debuting. Some, like Birdbox (whose first four weeks stretched into January 2019 from December 2018) and Stranger Things come as no big surprise. Others that made the cut may not strike you as quite so obvious. Did you watch the third season of the Spanish television crime series Money Heist — aka La casa de papel? Because 44 million other households did. How about the Ben Affleck-fronted mercenary drama Triple Frontier? Because that pulled in an impressive 52 million viewers in its first four weeks, making it the third most popular Netflix film of 2019 so far.
But even if these numbers don’t surprise you, what might throw you for a loop is what you don’t see on the list. Chances are fewer people than you assumed feel the same way you do about your favorite movies and shows. Fans of Mindhunter, Wine Country, Glow, Jessica Jones, The Ranch and Velvet Buzzsaw — here’s looking at you. Ready to find out if any of your other favorites qualify at Netflix’s most popular of 2019? Check it out.
Most Watched Movies on Netflix in 2019
- Bird Box (80 million viewers)
- Murder Mystery (73 million viewers)
- Triple Frontier (52 million viewers)
- The Perfect Date (48 million viewers)
- Tall Girl (41 million viewers)
- The Highwaymen (40 million viewers)
- Secret Obsession (40 million viewers)
- Always Be My Maybe (32 million viewers)
- Otherhood (29 million viewers)
Most watched TV Shows on Netflix in 2019
- Stranger Things: Season 3 (64 million viewers)
- The Umbrella Academy (45 million viewers)
- Money Heist: Season 3 (44 million viewers)
- Sex Education (40 million viewers)
- You (40 million viewers)
- Other Planet (33 million viewers)
- Unbelievable (32 million viewers)
- Dead to Me (30 million viewers)
- When They See Us (25 million viewers)
Well, were your favorites well represented? Did you find a few titles you hadn’t heard of until now? If you’re looking for something new to watch, consider this a good starting point for your next binge-watching session.