Fans almost missed out on having Shannen Doherty back in their favorite show. The actress joined the Beverly Hills, 90210 reboot, which takes a more meta look at its original cast, following her former cast mate’s, Luke Perry, death. Now, Doherty is setting the record straight on why she was hesitant to join the Beverly Hills, 90210 reboot and why it took her some time to feel comfortable signing on.
The members of the original cast have all assembled for the reboot, with Doherty sharing her nerves about the project. “I was hesitant for all different reasons — where I was at my life [and] being unsure if I wanted to revisit 90210,” Doherty told Us Weekly while attending the Television Critics Association summer press tour on Wednesday, August 7. “I didn’t want to be the reboot queen. I had already done Heathers, which was very important to me.”
Even with Doherty not initially signing on, Jennie Garth and Tori Spelling, who serve as creators and executive producers of the revival, moved forward with the reboot. “They were always going to, with or without me,” Doherty explained. “It came back around at a time where I thought it was the right time to do it, to honor a friend and be with my friends, recreating something that was special to America, special to the world and most importantly, special to all of us.”
It was, unfortunately, Perry’s death that really spurred something within Doherty, eventually leading her to say yes to joining the revival. “I felt like it was a great opportunity to honor him, and I’m really glad I made that decision because now I get to sit up here with a lot of people that I respect and love,” Doherty said. “We went on this amazing journey together where we also got to really, sort of, heal through losing somebody who means the world to all of us.”
The cast paid tribute to Perry in the premiere episode of BH, 90210 in a very sentimental, loving way. Fans can tune in for more every Wednesday night at 9 on FOX.