According to a source at E! News, Luyendyk and his current bride-to-be Lauren Burnham are getting married before the year is up and want it to be televised.
“It’s going to happen before the end of the year, if not sooner. They are still waiting to get confirmation from ABC for the TV special,” the source said, “and are heavily pushing for this… Nothing has been locked in yet until they get the green light from ABC.”
But why the rush? Is this really the best idea for a couple that began under such rocky circumstances? They’ve only been engaged for a couple of months, and don’t forget Luyendyk was engaged to another woman when the year began.
Either way, the source claims taking things slowly isn’t really in the cards. “Lauren and Arie are moving fast,” the insider told E!. “They want everything to happen quickly and show the world how real their love is.”
We’d be remiss if we didn’t point out that this information is being shared by an anonymous source — Luyendyk, Burnham and ABC have yet to confirm any of it — but it is evident that they’re pushing forward. Since the finale, the pair has appeared as a united front, and now, just a month later, Burnham is uprooting her life in Virginia to move in with Luyendyk in Arizona. The rush to the altar could be a very real thing.
So let’s just go out on a limb here and assume they are planning a wedding and pushing for it to be on TV (because really, we could see it) — is getting married on TV ever a good idea, or are couples who tie the knot for everyone’s viewing pleasure matrimonially cursed? Well, we compiled a list of reality stars who said I do on air, and you’d actually be surprised by the marriage success rate. Take a look:
- Trista Rehn and Ryan Sutter (The Bachelor) — married 14 years
- Amber Brkich and Rob Mariano (Survivor: All-Stars) — married, 13 years
- Kris Kardashian and Kris Humphries (Keeping Up with the Kardashians) — divorced
- NeNe and Gregg Leakes (Real Housewives of Atlanta) — divorced 2011, remarried 2013
- Nick Lachey and Vanessa Minnillo (Nick and Vanessa’s Dream Wedding) — married, six years
- Shannen Doherty and Kurt Iswarienko (Shannen Says) — married seven years
- Desiree Hartsock and Chris Siegfried (The Bachelorette) — married three years
- Carmelo and La La Anthony (La La Full Court Wedding) — married seven years
- Sean Lowe and Catherine Giudici (The Bachelor) — married four years
- Carmen Electra and Dave Navarro (‘Til Death Do Us Part: Carmen and Dave) — divorced
- Chad “Ochocinco” Johnson and Evelyn Lozada (Basketball Wives) — divorced
- Jason and Molly Mesnick (The Bachelor) — married eight years
- Christopher Knight and Adrianne Curry (America’s Next Top Model, The Surreal Life) — divorced
- Kim Zolciak and Kroy Biermann (Don’t Be Tardy, RHOA) — married seven years
- Ashley Hebert and J.P. Rosenbaum (The Bachelorette) — married five years
- Khloe Kardashian and Lamar Odom (KUWTK) — divorced
- Lauri Waring and George Peterson (Real Housewives of Orange County) — married nine years
- Niecy Nash and Jay Tucker (Clean House, Niecy Nash’s Wedding Bash) — married seven years
- Kandi Burruss and Todd Tucker (RHOA) — married four years
- Spencer Pratt and Heidi Montag (The Hills) — married eight years
- Yandy Smith and Mendeecees Harris (Love and Hip Hop) — married two years
That’s 15 marriages still going strong out of 21. That’s probably better than typical Hollywood marriage standards! We’ll admit the results are completely surprising, but apparently tying the knot on TV is not the kiss of death. These marriage statuses don’t lie.
So, it looks like only one question remains — are Luyendyk and Burnham really ready to pledge their lives to each other forever in front of a national audience? I guess we’ll see.