During the Manchester Attack, Ariana Grande's Mother Helped Concertgoers
Updated May 24, 2017, 5:10 a.m. PT: In the aftermath of the attack in Manchester, more details are emerging around that horrific evening. Where Ariana Grande and her family are concerned, this has been an understandably stressful time to put it mildly.
Reports have now come out that on the night of the attack, Grande's mother, Joan Grande, escorted concertgoers to safety when the attack began. Us Weekly details how Joan Grande immediately hopped into action, first making sure her daughter was safe before moving on to help people she didn't know until that moment. A source told Us, "The pop star's mom, who was preparing to go backstage to see her daughter, assembled a group of nearby fans and told them to come with her and Ariana's security team. Joan waited backstage with the fans until they were cleared to safely leave the arena." Joan Grande had been sitting in the front row during the concert and was able to get those concertgoers out of harm's way.
Additionally word is now emerging about Ariana Grande's tearful reunion with her boyfriend, rapper Mac Miller, upon returning home to Boca Raton, Florida, from the U.K. after she suspended her world tour. A source told E! News about the scene of Ariana Grande's reunion with Miller at the airport: "When Ariana got off the plane, Mac greeted her on the tarmac with a long hug followed by a kiss. Mac also gave Ariana's mom a hug. It was a very emotional reunion and they stood talking for a minute before getting into the car. Ariana looked exhausted and like she didn't get much sleep. She seemed like she just wanted to get home and be with her loved ones."
It's good to know that Ariana and Joan Grande are safe and sound and home in one piece. Here's to hoping they're able to find time to recuperate from this tragic event.
Updated May 23, 2017, 8 a.m. PT: Ariana Grande has spoken out about the terror attack that took place after her Manchester concert in a tweet, writing, "broken. from the bottom of my heart, i am so so sorry. i don't have words." She's also postponed the rest of her tour indefinitely.
Queen Elizabeth II issued a statement on Tuesday condemning the attack.
"The whole nation has been shocked by the death and injury in Manchester last night of so many people, adults and children, who had just been enjoying a concert," the statement said. "I know I speak for everyone in expressing my deepest sympathy to all who have been affected by this dreadful event and especially to the families and friends of those who have died or were injured. I want to thank all the members of the emergency services, who have responded with such professionalism and care. And I would like to express my admiration for the way the people of Manchester have responded, with humanity and compassion, to this act of barbarity."
A number of other celebrities have spoken out in the aftermath of the horrific attack, which killed at least 22 people and injured at least 59.
Others, including Cher, Missy Elliott, Brian Wilson, Paramore, Fifth Harmony, Bruno Mars, JoJo, Bastille, Halsey, Troye Sivan, Charli XCX, Niall Horan, DJ Khaled, Camila Cabello, Haim, Zedd, Tinashe, All Time Low, Noah Cyrus and Hayley Kiyoko posted to social media with similar sentiments, and James Corden addressed the attack during The Late Late Show, which was filming live as news of the tragedy broke.
And Salma Hayek told interviewers at Cannes that she still hasn't figured out how to respond to the tragedy, or what to say to her daughter about it.
Ariana Grande's concert at England's Manchester Arena ended in tragedy when two reported explosions occurred. Sadly, the Greater Manchester Police Department has confirmed multiple fatalities and injuries, with NBC News reporting at least 20 people have died in connection with the incident.
According to numerous concertgoers and sources — including one of Grande's label reps — two loud booms could be heard around 10:40 p.m., shortly after the concert had ended. Witnesses say Grande had just exited the stage behind the curtain when the chaos began.
Naturally, panic ensued. Videos of terrified fans running out of the arena quickly began circulating on Twitter, along with videos of emergency services rushing to the scene.
As emergency services are still working at the scene of the incident, the Greater Manchester Police continues to ask that the area be avoided. According to their official statement, "Emergency services are currently responding to reports of an explosion at Manchester Arena. There are a number of confirmed fatalities and others injured. Please AVOID the area as first responders work tirelessly at the scene. Details of a casualty bureau will follow as soon as possible."
Variety reports that a label rep confirmed Grande is safe. Currently, there is no confirmed information concerning the cause of the explosions, although several sources are reporting that authorities believe the explosions to be the work of suicide bombers.
We will continue to publish updates as new information regarding the incident is made available. Our thoughts are with Grande, her fans and the family of those involved.