Neil Patrick Harris showed Vogue around his epic Harlem townhouse for a new 73 Questions interview, and we now feel as though we know him a lot better than we ever did. After showing off some insane swag pilfered from the How I Met Your Mother set and rapping “My Shot” from Hamilton, NPH waxed poetic about his kids and reflected on what he would say to his 13-year-old self. Ahead, here are the 15 most interesting things we found out from his 11-and-a-half-minute interview.
1. Harris wanted his townhouse to be “like some adventurous club with a genius bar inside.” After seeing a bunch of it on camera, we’d have to say — success.
2. The best thing about living in NYC is the “immediacy, the culture, the people,” and the craziest thing he’s ever seen on an NYC subway was “a guy with a needle in his arm.”
3. He’s dying to work with J.J. Abrams.
4. He’d love to take an acting class with Anthony Hopkins.
5. Harris has the booth from How I Met Your Mother in his house! “I stole it when we wrapped,” he said. He also revealed a recurring joke for his character, Barney, on the show that most people probably didn’t notice: “Barney’s bad with chopsticks.”
6. His worst habit: Getting easily distracted.
7. The stupidest thing he’s ever done: “Once I lit a candle, fell asleep and almost burned down half of our old apartment.”
8. His workout anthem: “Work Bitch” by Britney Spears.
9. He’d like to think he’s more responsible since becoming a dad, and he finds sleep deprivation the hardest part of being a father.
10. His biggest fear? Public humiliation.
11. Tom Ford is his fashion icon.
12. If he had to have a sham Hollywood marriage, it’d be with Charlize Theron.
13. His kids’ unbridled laughter is his favorite quality about them.
14. To his 13-year-old self, he’d offer this advice: “I would say to dance more than you think you should, and I would say… don’t forget to breathe.”
15. And to any aspiring child actors, NPH would say: “Prepare yourself for a fair amount of rejection, and work to work and not to be famous.”