Who isn’t always in the mood for a musical? Good thing La La Land, starring Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling, comes out on Dec. 16. It’s about time these two were in a musical, where they get to show off their singing and dancing skills right next to each other.
Until then, let’s take a moment look at some of the top musical numbers from over the years. Admittedly, selecting the best and then ranking them isn’t an easy feat. There are so many fanastic song and dance numbers from a slew of musicals, so it’s time to honor them.
You may or may not agree with the ranking and which one we selected as no. 1, but that’s OK. We all have different opinions. We just hope you enjoy watching the following musicals numbers as much as we do. Here’s hoping they also get you in the mood for La La Land.
29. Pitch Perfect — Bellas finals
Yes, this is a musical and Anna Kendrick can do no wrong.
28. There’s No Business Like Show Business — “There’s No Business Like Show Business”
If you’ve seen this, you know when Ethel Merman’s character looks at her son, played by Donald O’Connor, you need a box of tissues.
27. Grease 2 — “Score Tonight”
Grease 2 may have not been as successful as Grease, but this song makes up for that.
26. Mary Poppins — “Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious”
Humans (Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke) and animated characters dancing together could easily be a disaster, but not in Mary Poppins.
25. Les Misérables — “Do You Hear the People Sing?”
Forget about “One Day More,” this performance is all about unity and is extremely powerful.
24. The King and I — “Shall We Dance?”
Yul Brynner and Deborah Kerr dancing? Need we say more?
23. Sister Act 2 — “Joyful Joyful”
There are so many actors in this film and particular number, including Lauryn Hill and Jennifer Love Hewitt. Talk about nostalgia, huh?
22. Sister Act — “I Will Follow Him”
This final song is both uplifting and emotional.
21. Sister Act — “Oh Maria”
Kathy Najimy’s and Wendy Makkena’s characters bring this number to a whole new level.
20. The Phantom of the Opera — “The Phantom of the Opera”
Try not to get the chills when Emmy Rossum hits that note.
19. The Music Man — “76 Trombones”
The only way to end a film is with a massive musical number.
18. Moulin Rouge — “Elephant Love Medley”
A mashup of popular romance songs performed by Nicole Kidman and Ewan McGregor? Count us in.
17. Hairspray — “You Can’t Stop the Beat”
Finale numbers are always the best, just like this one.
16. Chicago — “Cell Block Tango”
Between the badass women, the singing and the amazing dancing, what more could we ask for?
15. Newsies — “King of New York”
Two names: Bill Pullman and Christian Bale.
14. Bye Bye Birdie — “Telephone Hour”
Before there was social media, this is how everyone gossiped.
13. Grease — “We Go Together”
Grease is full of hits, but there’s just something special about this one.
12. The Rocky Horror Picture Show — “Time Warp”
One of the most catchy songs ever. You know you want to dance every time it comes on too.
11. Grease — “Greased Lightning”
It sure is electrifying, isn’t it?
Up next: The top 10