While Hill’s performance as Donnie Azoff in the movie garnered him an Oscar nomination for Best Actor in a Supporting Role, it also landed him in the hospital. The actor got sick after snorting too much fake cocaine while filming the movie.
“I had to be hospitalized,” Hill revealed on Any Given Wednesday with Bill Simmons on HBO. “It’s vitamin powder, but it doesn’t matter. If you ingest that much matter into your lungs, you’ll get very sick, and we were literally doing fake coke for, like, seven months, every day.”
Yikes! So, snorting Pixy Stix (or anything else, for that matter) is definitely a no-go. Not only was Hill hospitalized, but he was sick for three weeks.
“I got bronchitis,” he said, adding that because of the vitamin powder, “I never had more vitamin D in my entire life. I could have lifted a car over my fucking head!”
“I mean, I’d do it again in a second,” Hill told The Guardian back in 2014. “The first time you snort fake cocaine in a Scorsese movie, you feel like… I don’t know! I got embarrassed because I said that it’s every actor’s dream. I guess it’s not, but to me, it’s a pretty iconic thing to do.”