From women’s right to the Black Lives Matter movement, the 2016 ESPY Awards are sure to continue inspiring us in the weeks to come.
1. Sgt. Elizabeth Marks speaks to those in need
“If you’re struggling, if you’re hurting… if you ever think you’re alone. You’re not,” Marks said in her empowering speech. She received the Pat Tillman Award for Service.
2. Chris Paul and more brought in the Black Lives Matter movement
Paul, Carmelo Anthony, Dwyane Wade and LeBron James called all athletes to action by discussing their forefathers like Muhammed Ali and Jackie Robinson who stood for something bigger than the sports they played.
3. Zaevion Dobson’s tribute video
Zaevion Dobson was honored at the ESPYs for his act of bravery in December 2015. He was killed was protecting two girls from gunfire. If this video didn’t get you right in the feels then you don’t have a soul.
4. Zaevion Dobson’s mother accepts the Arthur Ashe Award on her son’s behalf
Zaevion Dobson’s mother pleaded with the athletes in the ESPY audience to support more gun control laws.
5. Abby Wambach discusses her bigger legacy
Retired soccer player, coach, two-time Olympic gold medalist and FIFA Women’s World Cup champion Abby Wambach commented on women’s rights and equality within the sports world while receiving her ESPY Icon Award.
6. Chance the Rapper performs Muhammad Ali tribute
Chance the Rapper honored Muhammad Ali with a new song and a powerful tribute.
7. Breanna Stewart calls for change in female athletes’ recognition
Stewart won in the category for Best Female Athlete, but instead of talking about her career, she spoke out about the need for more recognition for female athletes to cheers and applause from the audience.
8. Andra Day honored late athletes
The in memoriam portion of the ESPY Awards was touching and included athletes like Kimbo Slice, Darryl Dawkins, Frank Gifford and, of course, Muhammed Ali.
9. Craig Sager on the importance of time, and living your life
“One day we’ll soon wipe out cancer,” Sager — a sideline reporter for TNT and TBS — said in his moving acceptance speech for the Jimmy V Award.
10. Bonus: John Cena’s monologue
To end things on a lighter note, Cena expertly roasted the sports world and all its athletes.