9 empowering quotes from strong women at the Essence Festival
The Essence Festival is called "the party with a purpose" for a reason. The festival, which is taking place this July 4th weekend, is more than your run-of-the-mill music festival because it aims to empower women of color. And the keynote speakers, which include powerful women ranging from Oprah to Tyra Banks, have some pretty inspiring, heartfelt words of advice.
1. "If you can't go through that front door, you go through that side door, you go through a window. You go through the attic. You go through the basement." — Tyra Banks
Tyra Banks spoke about having a body type that wasn't embraced by mainstream beauty standards and following her own path.
2. "I do what I need to do. I dust myself off and get back up." — Tina Knowles Lawson
The entrepreneur and mother of Beyoncé and Solange shared her story of overcoming adversity and pursuing success.
3. "You don't get what you wish for. You don't get what you hope for. You get what you believe." — Oprah Winfrey
Oprah barely left a dry eye, speaking about the role intention plays in achieving your goals.
4. "Black Girl Magic is a rallying call of recognition. Embedded in the everyday is a magnificence that is so easy to miss because we’re so mired in the struggle and what society says we are." — Ava DuVernay
Director Ava DuVernay spoke about landing her dream job and her new show, Queen Sugar.
5. "No matter what environment I’m in, I still can bring myself and my creativity to it and my artistry." — Misty Copeland
The prima ballerina gave a heartfelt speech about everything she'd learned from working with Prince.
6. "When you're scared, that's a good thing. That fear is so good. Jump forward, and if you fail, fail forward." — Tyra Banks
Banks shared her experiences in building her career, from America's Top Model to her new beauty line.
7. "Your life is big; your life is huge. We spend too much time wanting to be in someone else’s life. You don’t get celebrated wanting what someone else has." — Oprah Winfrey
Oprah spoke about the danger of envy and the importance of choosing your own goals.
8. "Too much of not caring for yourself is not a good thing. We’re bad at that as achievers. Self-care is a priority, and we have to do it more." — Ava DuVernay
DuVernay shared some wise words about the importance of self-care.
9. "The energy of what you do, what you say, and the energy of who you are goes out into the world, your home, and into your relationships, and that energy is always coming back to you." — Oprah Winfrey
Oprah also touched on our responsibility to only dish out things we'd like to receive ourselves.