Scott Speedman appeared on Live! with Kelly to promote his latest show, Animal Kingdom, but there was perhaps no one more excited about his appearance than Kelly Ripa’s co-host for the day, Anderson Cooper, who literally could not keep his cool when Speedman came out.
Of course, Speedman is arguably best known for his role as the beloved bad boy with a big heart, Ben Covington, on the WB teen drama Felicity, so even though he was all set to chat about his newest endeavor, Cooper pretty much couldn’t hide his passionate feelings about Felicity.
Ripa admitted that she and Cooper had dinner the other night and that they were talking about Speedman, and it quickly became clear why: Cooper is a huge Felicity buff. To be fair, he does say that he loves Animal Kingdom, too, but let’s be real… it’s impossible not to admit that we’re all still head-over-heels in looooove with Ben Covington.
Cooper says, “So many people love that show, follow that show so closely… I was one of them. You must have people coming up to you all the time.”
Speedman admits, “Most of the time on the street, people just scream out ‘Felicity’ at me and I’m not Felicity, I’m Ben.”
Cooper then ponders aloud what Ben would be doing nowadays, and Ripa jokes, “This is what occupies Anderson’s thoughts at night… what would Ben be doing?”
Cooper says, “When you love the show, and you really start to believe the people are real, you start to wonder about them,” proudly letting the world know that he’s still Team Ben.
Of course, Felicity ended back in 2002, and though its cultural significance has endured, here are a few thoughts we imagine were going through Cooper’s head when interviewing Speedman.
1. “I wonder if it’s too much to admit that I used to read Ben/Felicity fan fiction back in the day.”
2. “He’s still so cute. But then again, so is Scott Foley… would I change my mind all these years later?”
3. “Nah, Noel was such a nerd. Felicity made the right choice.”
4. “My job allows me to travel to cool places and report on incredibly important world events, but this might be up there with the happiest moments of my life.”
5. “Is now the appropriate time to ask about a Felicity reboot?”
6. “Either way, my 2002 self would be so envious of me right now.”
Is Anderson Cooper the official Live! co-host yet?
Before you go, check out our slideshow below.