Jason Dohring will be spicing up your screen for The Originals Season 3.
Dohring, who is best known from his time starring on Veronica Mars, will be laying down the law (or trying to) on the CW show as Detective Kinney. And he’ll be human! Which means Cami, finally, won’t be alone. Maybe she and Kinney will bond? Just saying…
Here’s the scoop on 20 things you should know about Dohring and his character on The Originals before Season 3 premieres this Thursday.
1. If you weren’t an actor, what career would you choose? “I would probably be a farmer.”
2. What was the last film that made you cry? “Oh, my gosh, Warrior. It made me cry like three or four times.”
3. What’s your favorite exercise? “The push-up.”
4. What is the biggest lesson in life you’ve learned so far? “I think that to love in spite of all reason you should not is the secret to being great.”
5. Tell us about a scar you have and how you got it. “I got this one from my sister.” — Dohring points to the back of his left forearm — “My mom took me and my — I have twin brothers and twin sisters — all five of us went in an RV to Alaska. And she had a little pocket knife and I said, ‘Kelsey’ and she went, ‘What?'” Dohring motions as if holding a pocket knife and swings his arm around, indicating that his sister accidentally cut him as she turned around.
6. Do you have any tattoos or piercings? “Negative.”
7. What is your favorite TV show? “Game of Thrones. It’s typical, but it’s just so good.”
8. What has been the biggest challenge in your career? “Trying to not be, like, introverted. You know what I mean? To keep your attention out. I get so interested in what I’m doing, trying to be good; it can be hard. Like, I was just thinking, this is the building you come to when you’re doing your final audition for projects. I think I was sitting in this room with Paul Wesley and a couple other guys, like, for a pilot before he got Vampire Diaries. I just remember that; it’s interesting.”
9. How do you drink your coffee? “I don’t. Period.”
Dohring actually revealed that he prefers super-purified water that he even turned his former Veronica Mars costar Kristen Bell on to.
10. What was your first job ever? “I did filing for my parents at their company for two dollars an hour and, after 45 minutes, I was out.”
11. Tell us about your first kiss. “There was this girl I liked, Allison. And so we’re standing in the pool, and we’re just, like, so in love, oh, my God! I’m, like, 12. And I swear The Lion King song was playing somewhere and we were both just feeling it, but nobody’s saying it. We’re just swimming alone, and we were both standing on the edge of the pool and she’s, like,” — Dohring makes a kissing sound — “and dives into the pool. And I dove in after her.”
12. Who was your teen crush? “It was Topanga from Boy Meets World. And then it was Britney Spears.”
13. What do you think is the scariest thing about the future? “Illiteracy.”
14. Favorite curse word. “Oh, God… f***…” Dohring mumbled under his breath, which made everyone in the room start laughing. Apparently, there’s the answer!
15. Cats or dogs. “Dogs.”
16. What is your best physical feature? “My height.”
17. What inspired you? “My children.”
Dohring has two children with one on the way.
18. What are you most excited for people to see in your character on The Originals? “A detective. I’ve never played that before that’s been on film. It’s cool because I’ve always played kid roles, you know, it’s like little brats on TV and stuff like that, so to be a teacher or a detective, just figuring that out and talking to detectives, it’s so interesting.”
19. Tell us about one spoiler from the show. “In this last episode, we wind up, sort of, he was never involved in the supernatural world and then he winds up getting pulled in very, sort of, deeply into it. He’s just so willing to put himself in harm’s way to find out what’s going on, he ends up in a terrifying situation and blood will spill.”
20. Will he really be the moral one this season? “I suppose that’s right. He’s a detective. He’s a pretty Nancy Drew sort of guy.”
Don’t miss out on The Originals, which returns Oct. 8 on The CW.