Start Valentine’s Day off right with this hearty breakfast menu that is sure to satisfy your man’s stomach and, as a result, his heart.
There will be no need to drop subtle hints this year, take initiative and start Valentine’s Day with a breakfast date to remember. Start with Cupid’s fruit platter, follow it with a hearty Spanish omelette, then send him off to work with a banana love bite… or two.
Cupid’s fruit platter
Aim straight for the heart and leave no room for guessing what day it is with this healthy watermelon platter.
- 1 slice watermelon, 2-3 centimetres thick
- 1 orange, halved then sliced
- 2 wooden BBQ skewers
- Heart-shaped cookie cutter
- Use cookie cutter to cut heart shapes out of watermelon slice.
- Thread skewer through on a diagonal from bottom to top.
- Push one orange slice onto top end of skewer.
- Attach 1/2 orange slice to bottom end of skewer.
All-in Spanish omelette
When guys think fancy breakfast, they think bacon and eggs. He’ll be pleasantly surprised when he gets his “big breakfast” in one with this delish dish.
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 rashers short cut bacon, chopped
- 1/4 red onion, finely sliced
- 4 button mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 tomato, diced
- 1 handful baby spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup cheese, grated
- Whisk together eggs and milk with salt and pepper to taste, set aside.
- Fry vegetables and bacon over medium heat in a medium-sized skillet then set aside.
- Spray skillet generously with oil and pour in half the egg mixture. Tilt pan to distribute evenly.
- Cook approximately two minutes.
- Spread half the vegetable and bacon mix over half of the top of the omelette. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Carefully fold the other half over the top and cook a further two minutes or until cheese is melted.
Try these other Valentine’s Day recipes >>
Banana love bites
Maybe we should call them “lust bites” because we’re pretty sure your guy won’t be able to stop at just one of these delightful mini muffins. Put a few extras in his lunch box for work!
Makes 36 mini muffins, 12 regular muffins or 1 banana loaf
- 1-1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon bi-carb soda
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 bananas mashed
- 250 grams cream cheese, softened
- 4 tablespoons icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add eggs, vanilla and bananas and continue beating.
- Combine dry ingredients and then add to banana mixture.
- Spoon into greased or lined mini muffin tray.
- Cook for 15 minutes.
- Cool on a rack.
- Beat cream cheese and icing sugar together till smooth.
- Use a piping bag to ice each mini muffin.
- Cut strawberries in slices lengthwise and place one on top of each frosted muffin.
Well you’ve set the ball in motion, I wonder what he has up his sleeve for the rest of the day? Your chances of it being a good one have now increased exponentially!