Take desserts to an adults-only level with a splash of liquour.
Hosting an adults-only event or dinner this festive season? Boost the flavour of your desserts with a dash or two of decadent alcohol.
Many traditional and common desserts can be enhanced with the flavours of alcohol. Here is a list of desserts that can be made and matched with a boozy flavour.
A well-loved favourite, crepes can be taken to the next level:
- Orange syrup can be laced with an orange liquor like Grand Marnier and drizzled on top.
- Melt a hazelnut spread (Nutella) and fold in a few shots of hazelnut liquor, then spread on crepes and fold. Serve with strawberries.
Wow your guests with a spectacular flambe show or boozy custard at the dinner table:
- Carefully warm brandy in a pot on the stovetop. With caution, light the brandy in the pot and then slowly pour over the pudding. Make sure the serving area is clear of all other objects and allow the flame to go out on its own.
- If making custard for your pudding, lace it with some rum.
Everyone loves tiramisu but as many may suspect, it can be an adults-only treat:
- When dipping sponges into the coffee mixture add a shot or two of Kahlua.
- Add a hint of hazelnut by adding a flavoured liquour like Frangelico to the cream.
Boost your mousse with different flavours:
- Add shots of hazelnut, mint or coffee liquor.
- Play up the “alcohol” flavour by serving them in shot glasses.
If you are just after a little finishing bite to have with coffee, you can’t go past the Christmas favourite, rum balls.
- 1 packet (250 grams) of Arrowroot biscuits or other plain sweet biscuits
- 1 tin of condensed milk
- 1 cup of sultanas or dates, chopped
- 1/4 cup of rum
- 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder
- 2 cups of dessicated coconut
- Crush the biscuits finely (but not to a powder) and add in all of the other ingredients. Let it sit in the fridge for an hour (this will help with the rolling).
- Use a tablespoon to scoop out mixture and roll into balls, coat in the coconut and sit on a plate. Place in the fridge until ready for serving.