Planning to kick back with a few cold ones on AFL game day come Monday, June 11? Show your team loyalty and whip up some of these great cocktails in red and blue for the Melbourne Demons or black and white for the Collingwood Magpies!
The Queen’s Birthday June public holiday falls in line with two other major days on the Aussie calendar: the official start to the snow season and the highly publicised AFL game between the Melbourne Demons and the Collingwood Magpies.
It’s a great excuse to invite some friends around, fire up the BBQ and kick back with some festive cocktails. And what better way to show your support than dressing up in your team’s colours and slurping down cocktails in your team’s colours?! Leave the beer and wine in the fridge and have some fun whipping up these great cocktail recipes. Don’t thank us, thank the Queen for a public holiday!
FOR MELBOURNE DEMONS FANS
- 1/2 shot triple sec
- 1 shot vodka
- 1/2 shot cranberry juice
- 1/2 shot lime juice
- Throw all of the ingredients in a cocktail mixer and shake well.
- Strain the delicious cosmo cocktail into a chilled martini glass.
Blue: Blue lagoon
- 1 shot vodka
- 1 shot Blue Curacao
- 1/2 cup lemonade
- Lemon, sliced
- Half fill a tall glass with ice.
- Pour the vodka and Curacao shots into the glass, then top up with lemonade.
- Garnish with a slice of lemon.
FOR COLLINGWOOD MAGPIES FANS
White: White Russian
- 1 shot vodka
- 1 shot Kahlua
- 1/2 cup cream or milk
- Half fill a martini glass with ice.
- Add the vodka and Kahlua, then stir.
- Top up with cream or milk.
Black: Black martini
- 2/3 shot gin
- 1/3 shot Black Sambuca or raspberry liqueur
- Pour all of the ingredients into a cocktail mixer and shake.
- Strain into a martini glass.
Make a whole bunch of jelly shots in red, blue, black and white — your guests’ picks will show where their loyalty lies!
- Cooking oil spray
- 4 packets of jelly crystal packets (strawberry, blueberry, blackberry and lemonade for red, blue, black and white)
- 1 litre boiling water
- 500 millilitres cold water
- 500 millilitres vodka
- Very lightly spray your shot glasses with a touch of cooking oil as this will help the jelly shots slide out easily once set.
- Make the four different flavours of jelly as per the instructions on the packet: empty your jelly crystals into four separate bowls, then add 250 milliltres boiling water in each and stir until crystals are dissolved. Add 125 millilitres cold water and 125 millilitres vodka in each and stir. The cold water and vodka measurements can be changed depending on your preference for alcohol strength.
- Pour the jelly mixtures into the shot glasses and place in the fridge.
- Leave to set overnight until firm.
more footy day recipes
Cooking for a large crowd
Easy appetisers for entertaining
How to throw a fabulous cocktail party : 10 easy steps