Sloppy joe sandwiches are a uniquely American dish, but they may just be onto something: these hearty, delicious sandwiches are bursting with flavour and are as filling as a main meal! It’s the ideal dish to serve at a casual party or get-together at any time of year. If you’re keen to follow the American lead, then let this tasty recipe guide the way…
Cooking for a crowd
If you are hosting a casual get together for a large crowd of people, it’s ideal if you can keep the food simple — and what could be simpler and less fussy that stuffed sandwiches? This recipe is designed for 50 people, but the ingredients can be cut in half if you’re hosting a more intimate crowd of 20-25.
Sloppy joes for 50 guests
- 5kg lean ground beef
- 4 large white onions, chopped
- 3 large green capsicums, chopped
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup spicy brown mustard
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup worcestershire sauce
- 50 hamburger buns
- Split the beef, onions and capsicum into thirds.
- In a large dutch oven, place one portion of the beef, onions and peppers.
- Cook until the meat is brown, and then remove with a slotted spoon. Repeat with remaining batches of beef.
- Transfer all of the beef to a large roaster, and add the remaining ingredients. Stir well.
- Cover the roaster and simmer on a low heat for four hours, adding more water if necessary.
- Serve on hamburger buns, with plenty of napkins on standby!
Dessert for a crowd
You may have fed your guests a tasty meal, but what about dessert?!
The simplest and tastiest treat to feed a crowd is cookies, as they’re easy to make, easy to distribute and they won’t keep you chained to the kitchen bench all day long. In fact, you don’t need to bake at all: simply visit the bakery aisle of your local supermarket and choose a variety of different types of cookies. You can usually buy them by the dozen, so stock up. Account for at least 2-3 cookies per guest, as it always pays to have more rather than less.
Cleaning up after a crowd
Cleanup should be a breeze if you have a few large trash cans visibly placed in several locations throughout your home and backyard. People tend to throw away their own rubbish if they see a bin, so try and place them in high traffic areas, but without making them too visible.