Wimbledon is underway and what a perfect excuse to invite your friends round to enjoy the tennis and have a spot of lunch. A garden party, complete with a nice green lawn, deckchairs and a glass of bubbly is almost as good as being at the famous sports event! Here are three light recipes which couldn’t be more British, summery and decadent and will impress all of your garden party guests!
Perfect summer food
Here are three light recipes which couldn’t be more British, summery and decadent and will impress all of your garden party guests!
Serving size 4
- 1 x 400 gram punnet strawberries
- 4 meringue nests, broken
- medium sized carton pink ice cream
- Mash half of the strawberries and then slice the rest.
- Divide between 4 small bowls.
- Top with a couple of broken meringue nests and scoops of pink ice cream.
Wimbledon potato salad
Serving size 6
- 750 grams new potatoes
- 75 millilitres buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon caster sugar
- 100 grams sliced radishes
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 20 gram pack mustard cress , to serve
- Put potatoes in a pan of salted water, bring to the boil, then simmer for 12 mins until cooked through.
- Drain and cool.
- Whisk buttermilk, light mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar and caster sugar with seasoning.
- Once spuds are cool, toss with the buttermilk dressing, radishes and poppy seeds.
- Sprinkle over cress to serve.
Serving size 4
- 8 lemons , plus extra slices to serve
- 200 grams caster sugar , plus extra to taste
- 140 grams raspberries , plus extra to serve
- Ice, to serve
- Pare the zest from the lemons with a peeler.
- Juice the lemons and mix the juice, zest, sugar and raspberries with 1.2 litres of boiling water.
- Let cool, then sieve, pressing through juice with the back of a spoon. Add sugar to taste and chill in jugs.
- To serve, add a few lemon slices, raspberries and lots of ice.
- If you would like an alcoholic version simply add a little vodka to taste.