Amy Poehler’s 25 most important life lessons you need to know
Listen, we love Amy Poehler. You love Amy Poehler. We all love Amy Poehler. Between speaking out about equality via #askhhermore and helping orphans through improv, Poehler is winning 2015 so far. And with these 25 insights from the funny feminist, we're officially dubbing her our life coach.
1. "Sometimes painful things can teach us lessons that we didn't think we needed to know."
2. "Rooting for other people's failure does get in the way of your success."
3. "Taking risks and making choices is what makes life so exciting."
4. "The earlier you learn that you should focus on what you have and not obsess about what you don't have, the happier you will be."
5. "If you can speak about what you care about to a person you disagree with without denigrating or insulting them, then you may actually be heard, and you might even change their mind."
Image: Adriana M. Barraza/WENN
6. "Accepting love is very hard, but it's so nourishing when we do. Therefore, we have something to give back to someone else."
7. "Apologies can be simple. They don't have to be grandiose, and it's never too late to apologize."
8. "If someone asks you why you're crying, you can just say 'Because of how wrong you are.'"
9. "You deserve love and you'll get it."
10. "As you navigate through the rest of your life, be open to collaboration. Other people and other people's ideas are often better than your own. Find a group of people who challenge and inspire you, spend a lot of time with them, and it will change your life."
Image: Brian To/WENN
11. "Try to keep your mind open to possibilities and your mouth closed on matters that you don't know about. Limit your 'always' and your 'nevers.'"
12. "I just love bossy women. I could be around them all day. To me, bossy is not a pejorative term at all. It means somebody's passionate and engaged and ambitious and doesn't mind leading."
13. "Always remember your kid's name. Always remember where you put your kid. Don't let your kid drive until their feet can reach the pedals. Use the right size diapers... for yourself. And, when in doubt, make funny faces."
14. "Anybody who doesn't make you feel good, kick them to the curb. And the earlier you start in your life, the better."
15. "Great people do things before they're ready. They do things before they know they can do it."
Image: Dennis Van Tine/Future Image/WENN
16. "When young girls are encouraged to explore what they find interesting, they grow up to be interesting women."
17. "When you feel scared, hold someone's hand and look into their eyes. And when you feel brave, do the same thing."
18. "Continue to share your heart with people, even if it's been broken."
19. "I want to be around people that do things. I don't want to be around people anymore that judge or talk about what people do. I want to be around people who dream and support and do things."
20. "There's power in looking silly and not caring that you do."
21. "'Good for her!' Not for me. That is the motto women should constantly repeat over and over again."
22. "I cannot stress enough that the answer to life's questions is often in people's faces. Try putting your iPhones down once in a while and look in people's faces. People's faces will tell you amazing things, like if they are angry or nauseous or asleep."
23. "Girls, if a boy says something that isn't funny, you don't have to laugh."
24. "Listen. Say 'Yes.' Live in the moment. Make sure you play with people who have your back. Make big choices early and often."
25. "Opening your heart and being courageous and telling people that you care about them or like them or that you think they're special only makes you a better, bigger, kinder, softer, more loving person and only attracts more love in your life."
More inspiring women in Hollywood
Anne Hathaway tears up while talking about women who've bad-mouthed her (VIDEO)
Eden Sher dishes on why she's OK with not landing "pretty-girl roles"
Why I, a Christian mom, appreciated Caitlin Stasey's Herself.com interview