Dr. Luke has denied Kesha’s claims that he raped her, but his newest defense in the legal proceedings against him sounds more like an admission than a defense.
Back in October, Kesha claimed that her former manager and mentor, Dr. Luke (real name Lukasz Gottwald), had taken advantage of their professional relationship and inflicted at least 10 years of emotional and sexual abuse.
But in a new filing, Dr. Luke’s lawyers are claiming that if the rape happened more than two years ago, the statute of limitations has passed and, therefore, their client can’t be prosecuted. But that defense in itself sounds like an admission. Why would the statute of limitations even matter if the rape never happened?
On top of that, his attorneys are also claiming that the charge of gender violence should be dismissed because of a three-year statute of limitations on the crime.
“Dr. Luke is hiding behind a legally flawed motion which we expect won’t work,” Kesha’s attorney, Mark Geragos, told CBS.
Back in 2011, Kesha had said in a deposition that Dr. Luke had never made any sexual advances toward her, but has said now that he threatened to harm her if she ever told anyone. She entered rehab earlier in 2014 for an eating disorder, which she later claimed was caused by the emotional distress caused by Dr. Luke.
The singer is asking the judge to release her from any contracts that currently bind her to Dr. Luke. Even if the rape and gender violence charges are dropped, Dr. Luke is still facing six other charges, including sexual harassment, civil harassment and intentional infliction of emotional distress.
But things are looking up for Kesha. She is on the road to recovery and thanked her fans for their support via Twitter on Monday, Nov. 17.
i’ve seen ALL of the love and I appreciate every tweet, comment. everything. each live in my heart!! pic.twitter.com/BmQfo3ba84
— kesha (@KeshaRose) November 17, 2014