Bill Cosby was given the chance to deny a series of sexual assault allegations, but he chose silence instead. Now his lawyer’s non-statement comes on the heels of yet another woman’s story.
Cosby was a guest on NPR’s Weekend Edition to discuss his African art collection, but when host Scott Simon asked him about the multiple sex assault accusations he’s been hit with, the iconic comedian clammed up. (The recording is available in the first tweet below.)
Cosby’s lawyer later released a statement on the matter, but it pretty much said nothing — and neither will Cosby.
“Over the past several weeks, decade-old, discredited allegations against Bill Cosby have resurfaced,” the statement read. “The fact that they are being repeated does not make them true. Mr. Cosby does not intend to dignify these allegations with any comment. He would like to thank all his fans for the outpouring of support and assure them that, at age 77, he is doing his best work. There will be no further statement from Mr. Cosby or any of his representatives.”
Simon addressed the interview, and specific portions of the lawyer’s statement, on Twitter.
— Scott Simon (@nprscottsimon) November 17, 2014
In the midst of Cosby’s failed attempt at regaining control of his reputation, another woman has stepped forward with a familiar story: That Cosby drugged and raped her when he was supposed to be guiding her career.
Explaining the first incident, Joan Tarshis wrote in an essay for Hollywood Elsewhere, “The next thing I remember was coming to on his couch while being undressed. Through the haze I thought I was being clever when I told him I had an infection and he would catch it and his wife would know he had sex with someone. But he just found another orifice to use. I was sickened by what was happening to me and shocked that this man I had idolized was now raping me. Of course I told no one.”
She described another incident she says occurred after she attended a theater production with him at her mother’s insistence.
“The next thing I remember was waking up in his bed back at the Sherry, naked,” she wrote. “I remember thinking, “You old shit, I guess you got me this time, but it’s the last time you’ll ever see me.’ During those years as I grew into adulthood, I watched Cosby be praised by everyone from presidents to Oprah to the Jell-O corporation. It all made me ill.”
Don’t expect Cosby to discuss this latest charge, either.
UPDATE: A new statement has been posted on Cosby’s website, referring to the 2005 lawsuit Simon mentioned in his tweets.
“Joint statement from Dolores Troiani, counsel to Andrea Constand, and John P. Schmitt, counsel to Bill Cosby,” it begins.
“The statement released by Mr. Cosby’s attorney over the weekend was not intended to refer in any way to Andrea Constand. As previously reported, differences between Mr. Cosby and Ms. Constand were resolved to the mutual satisfaction of Mr. Cosby and Ms. Constand years ago. Neither Mr. Cosby nor Ms. Constand intends to comment further on the matter.”