The year just got a whole lot better for One Direction fans. Even though the band announced a world tour and a new album this year, fans just found out they will be treated with a Christmas special, as well.
According to Billboard, the band made the announcement on their Twitter account on Wednesday, Nov. 12.
1D are excited to announce their first-ever US TV special “ONE DIRECTION: THE TV SPECIAL” airing December 23rd on @NBC!
— One Direction (@onedirection) November 12, 2014
Although there is very little information yet about the special, here are a few things we know:
1. The Christmas special will be One Direction’s first U.S. TV special and will air on NBC
The band has a partnership with NBC that also includes their Today show performance on Nov. 17 — and is most likely why this special is even happening.
— NBCUniversal (@NBCUniversal) November 12, 2014
However, they have appeared on TV specials in England plenty of times.
2. It’s not clear exactly what One Direction will be doing, but there is a chance they may make it very cheesy — on purpose
The band has a sense of humor and there is word that they may be attempting a throwback to the Christmas specials of the old days. Expect plenty of ugly sweaters — and guest appearances by friends.
3. This Christmas special is likely happening to support their tour and new album
One Direction announced their worldwide tour just a few weeks ago, which will take them out on the road February through September of 2015. They will also release their new album, Four, on Nov. 17, the same day they perform on Today.
4. There will be a lot of screaming fans
Because screaming fans follow 1D around.
5. One Direction’s Christmas special will air on Dec. 23 on NBC
That gives you just over a month to learn their new album… and Christmas music, if you don’t know already.