Who is Katie Melua and what's up with her spider story?
After hearing some funny noises in her ear, Katie Melua went to the doctor and found out a spider was living inside her ear canal.
The British pop star kept hearing "rustling" noises inside her ear for a week before she decided to visit the doctor to have the issue checked out. When they peeked into her ear canal, the docs literally found something waving back at them from inside.
Fortunately, the singer's physicians were able to suction the spider out of Melua's ear and the insect actually lived to tell the tale. Apparently, according to an entomology professor at the University of Florida, Philip Koehler, spiders like dark, humid places, so Melua's little guest was "probably entering the canal as harborage, for heat, and/or for moisture."
Melua is a rising star in England and besides making headlines for her little spider ear resident, she is also becoming a popular singer. The songstress was given the best female artist honor and is also Europe's highest-selling European female artist to boot.
Below are five more things you may want to know about this up-and-coming artist, so check them out.
1. Melua was born in Kutaisi, Georgia (which was then part of the Soviet Union) on Sept. 16, 1984, and moved to Northern Ireland at the age of 8. When she was 14, she went to live in England and then got married to World Superbike racer James Toseland in January 2012.
2. The pretty brunette musician made her musical debut with Call Off the Search in 2003 at the young age of 19. The album reached the top of the United Kingdom album charts and sold 1.8 million copies in the first five months after being released.
3. Melua really likes roller coasters, hang gliding and paragliding, so she is often referred to as an adrenaline junkie. In 2004 she was lowered from a 200-meter building in New Zealand at 60 mph.
4. An avid swimmer, Melua actually almost drowned in 2009 after she took in a lungful of water when diving in a lake near Heathrow Airport.
5. While she's mostly in check with her emotions, Melua actually suffered a nervous breakdown in September 2010 and was ordered to stop working for a few months. She was hospitalized for six weeks.