Mario Lopez takes no blame for Khloé K's X Factor failure
Well, it wasn't the most successful casting in Hollywood television history. That's what Mario Lopez told Howard Stern on Tuesday about the hiring of Khloé Kardashian as his co-host for Season 2 of The X Factor.
The TV personality appeared on the Howard Stern Show and gave his honest assessment about the reality star's turn on the talent competition show.
Stern asked, "Was that painful for you? You've been on TV, you've done a lot. She's a reality star, nothing against her, but for goodness sakes, there's no polish there, there's no panache. It's more of a publicity stunt."
Lopez responded in a politically correct way. He shared, "She was very cool in a sense that [she said,] 'You know, Mario, I'm absolutely green and I'm gonna lean on you.' And I was like, 'Don't worry, I got your back.'"
The Extra star admitted that Kardashian did bring a lot of fans to the table, despite her lack of hosting skills.
"I get [the producers'] thinking, obviously, that the whole family is extremely popular and strikes a chord one way or another," the former actor said. "What are you gonna do, Howard? I'm not the one making those decisions."
Lopez said he did the best he could to help her along and that they were friends behind the scenes. However, he had no choice but to go with the producers' casting decisions.
He explained it as, "Is this how we're rolling now? OK, let's do it."
Kardashian only lasted one season, while Lopez finished out the series last year.