Doctors slowly bringing Joan Rivers out of medical coma
Doctors have reportedly started the process of bringing comedienne, Joan Rivers, out of a medically induced coma, but it remains to be seen what kind of brain capacity Rivers will have upon waking.
"The waking up process has begun and will take until Tuesday," a source close to the family told the New York Daily News via the San Jose Mercury News on Sunday. "There is real concern that the part of the brain that controls motor skills may have been compromised, leaving her as either a vegetable or in a wheelchair," the source continued.
Rivers was undergoing a minor outpatient throat procedure at a clinic in New York City last week when she stopped breathing and went into cardiac arrest. She was rushed to Manhattan's Mount Sinai Hospital where she was initially reported to be in critical condition and was placed in the coma.
According to the New York Daily News' source, now that the initial trauma has worn off from the incident, the Rivers family is considering a lawsuit against the doctor's office that was performing the operation on their matriarch. "Shock and upset is turning to anger and they're looking for someone to blame," said the source. "The night before [the procedure] she was performing and now she is on life support... an 81-year-old should not have that procedure as an outpatient. Very ill-advised."
Rivers' daughter, Melissa Rivers, issued an initial statement on Friday, thanking fans for showing support to Joan. "I want to thank everyone for the overwhelming love and support for my mother," Melissa said. "She is resting comfortably and is with our family. We ask that you continue to keep her in your thoughts and prayers." Melissa released another statement on Tuesday, confirming that Joan's condition is still serious. "At this time, she does remain on life support," she updated.