Tracy Morgan upgraded to fair condition after crash

Tracy Morgan was nearly killed in a car crash, but is on the road to recovery and upgraded to fair condition.

More than a week after the crash that took the life of his friend and left him in critical condition, Tracy Morgan has been upgraded to fair condition.

Tracy Morgan crash: Truck driver plays the victim >>

“Happy to pass along that Tracy has been upgraded to fair condition, which is a great improvement,” Morgan’s publicist Lewis Kay told CNN. “His personality is certainly starting to come back as well.”

Morgan was riding in a limo bus on the New Jersey turnpike on June 7 when a Walmart truck crashed into their vehicle. Morgan was with four others at the time of the crash, and comedian James McNair was killed.

Another passenger (and Morgan’s assistant), Jeff Millea, had also been listed as critical but has now been upgraded to fair as well. Morgan sustained numerous injuries, including broken ribs, a broken nose, a broken femur and a broken leg.

Kevin Roper, the driver of the Walmart truck, had reportedly been awake for more than 24 hours when the crash occurred. He turned himself in to police the night of the crash and has pleaded not guilty to charges of vehicular homicide and assault by an auto. He has since been released on $50,000 bail.

Pals of Tracy Morgan crash victims beg for removal of video >>

Bill Simon, CEO of Walmart U.S., released a statement after the crash.

“This is a tragedy and we are profoundly sorry that one of our trucks was involved,” he said. “We are working quickly to understand what happened and are cooperating fully with law enforcement to aid their investigation. The facts are continuing to unfold. If it’s determined that our truck caused the accident, Walmart will take full responsibility. Safety is our absolute highest priority, but that is no comfort whatsoever to the families and friends who are suffering today. We offer them our deepest condolences. We can’t change what happened, but we will do what’s right for the family of the victim and the survivors in the days and weeks ahead.”

Kay said that Morgan still has plenty of recovery time ahead of him, and explained, “We expect him to remain in the hospital for several weeks.”


Comments are closed.