Eminem may seem like a real jerk sometimes, but it turns out he’s got a soft spot, especially when it comes to his estranged mother. For Mother’s Day, Eminem released a video dedicated to her.
Thanks for making all of our Mother’s Day presents seem like complete garbage, Eminem!
Yesterday Eminem outdid everyone by releasing the video for his new single, “Headlights.” The video and song are pretty much a tribute to his mom. He apologizes for the criticism he dealt her in “Cleaning Out My Closet” and laments that they aren’t closer and how she’s missed some big events in his daughters’ lives. It’s pretty sweet and there were quite a few moments that even had us teary or at the very least whimpering over Eminem’s remorse and his rough life. Sure, we’ve seen it all in 8 Mile, but this song makes it seem a million times more sad. He even gets an assist from fun.’s Nate Ruess on the chorus and drops his name in the song like he’s his long-lost brother. We approve. These moments are particularly hard to swallow:
1) Nate Ruess’ opening lines.
2) “Mom, you’re still beautiful to me ’cause you’re my mom.”
4) “Why are we always at each other’s throats? Especially when Dad, he f***ed us both. We’re in the same f***in’ boat, you’d think that would make us close. (Nope.)”
5) “And I was the man of the house, the oldest, so my shoulders carried the weight of the load.”
6) “Then Nate got taken away by the state at 8 years old and that’s when I realized that you were sick and it wasn’t fixable or changeable.”
7) “And to this day we remain estranged and I hate it, though.”
8) “‘Cause you ain’t even get to witness your grandbaby’s growth.”
9) “And I’m sorry, Mama, for ‘Cleanin’ Out My Closet.’ At the time I was angry. Rightfully? Maybe so. Never meant that far to take it, though.”
10) “And I think of Nathan being placed in a home and all the medicine you fed us and I just wanted you to taste your own.”
11) “That cross you bear, few may be as heavy as yours, but I love you Debbie Mathers.”
12) “One thing I never asked was where the f*** my deadbeat dad was. I guess he had trouble keeping up with every address. But, I’ve flipped every mattress, every rock and desert cactus… and followed my kids to the edge of the atlas. Someone would’ve removed them from you, you can bet your a**es, if I’d had to come down the chimney dressed as Santa, I’d kidnap ’em.”
13) The hug outside the gate of Eminem’s fancy new neighborhood.
14) “I saw your headlines as I looked back and I’m mad that I didn’t get the chance to thank you for being my mom and my dad.”
15) “I hope you get this message that I will always love you from afar.”
16) The letter signed, “Marshall (Your Son).”