The Vampire Diaries review: "Liv" with a purpose
Damon and Elena take a backseat to none other than Caroline and Stefan on The Vampire Diaries tonight as The Travelers put their plan to action.
And we thought we were done with the doppelganger storyline on The Vampire Diaries. Well, now we might be officially done, thanks to Enzo on tonight's episode titled "Rescue Me."
- ICYMI last week...
- Damon and Elena are kept in separate quarters so they can't kill one another thanks to Dr. Wes' injection.
- Elena teeters on the brink of insanity as she tries to piece together the missing portions of her life while Katherine controlled her body.
- Enzo delivers the vampire craving cure to Damon and Elena.
- Damon and Elena break up. And then sleep together.
But really, it was difficult to focus on the bigger picture with all the relationship drama flying around. Jeremy is MIA, which has Bonnie thinking he's moved on to more witchy girls (Liv). Damon (Ian Somerhalder) and Elena (Nina Dobrev) keep breaking up. And then doing the opposite of breaking up. Enzo is on a mission to find his long lost love Maggie. He's willing to do whatever it takes to hunt her down, which includes murdering innocent Stefan (Paul Wesley) doppelganger Tom.
Oh, and Caroline (Candice Accola) and Stefan snuggle up together in an old car turned bed. That's right. Read it again if you need some time to process the amazingness that was this scene. OK, no, they didn't go any further than endearing looks and playful friendship, but the chemistry was there, people. The show is teasing this relationship for all it's worth. But will it actually happen? Weigh in below in our comments section.
OK, now that we've aired out all the relationship dirty laundry, let's discuss Liv. We're not her biggest fans so far. She's too snide with a healthy dose of sarcasm for our taste. She embodies every ounce of the word "witch," and we really don't want Jeremy to be her friend. There. We said it.
All that aside, tonight we discover Liv and Luke's purpose is to stop The Travelers. Well, mission failed. To sum up: The Travelers drink a yummy concoction of Stefan and Elena blood before lighting themselves on fire and forcibly passing through Bonnie. Bonnie collapses and out of the shadows pops a silhouette. Hello, Markos (aka. The big, bad leader of The Travelers).
As I've mentioned before, I'm hooked on the writing from The Vampire Diaries, especially this season. Here are some of my favorite lines of the night, though, there were more than a few to obsess over.
- "Don't worry wolf boy, I'm sure they're just friends," Damon tells Tyler as he explains that Caroline and Enzo are off on a doppelganger killing mission together in Atlanta.
- "Hey, sorry I missed class. We were under a doppelganger invasion." Jeremy says, explaining to Elena and Damon why he has so many unexcused missed school days.
- Damon: "All I know is that right now I want to rip your clothes off right here in the middle of this hall and throw you in one of these classrooms and kiss every square inch of your body while a bunch of people that drive mini vans listen, wishing they were us. . . That's probably a bad idea, right?" Sorry, we can't explain this one, we're too busy gathering our jaw up off the floor.