Newly-engaged Katie Couric made love a priority
Katie Couric has been mostly single since losing her husband to cancer 15 years ago, but she said she's been focusing on love recently. And it finally led her to the right one.
Katie Couric announced her engagement to financier John Molner earlier this week, to the surprise of many who know her. But it turns out that Couric was just as surprised at the proposal as everyone else.
"He said that there was a reason he'd brought me there to the beach, and that he loved me and was committed to me, and I said, 'Yeah, I know that, you didn't have to bring me here to tell me that,'" Couric told People magazine in their Sept. 16 issue. "Finally he said, 'Couric, I'm trying to propose to you,' and I was stunned."
As Molner got down on his knee, Couric said she remained in shock by what was happening.
"It took me a while to say yes, because I was so confused!" the 56-year-old journalist said. "It took a long time for my brain to process what was going on."
The couple has been dating for two years, and even though the proposal came as a shock, Couric said the engagement has been a long time coming. She has been unmarried since the death of her husband Jay Monahan from colon cancer in 1998, and even though she's been involved in relationships since then, she hadn't found "the one."
That all changed when she met Molner. The mom of two said with the 50-year-old, she felt like she could finally settle down again. Couric has two daughters, 22-year-old Elinor and 17-year-old Caroline.
"I knew that I wanted this," she said. "I made it a priority, and I pursued it with some purpose."
Now Couric will have to find a way to make wedding planning a priority as well. She's still hosting her talk show Katie, as well as acting as a special correspondent for ABC News.
The couple has not yet announced a wedding date.