Totally digging Drew Barrymore’s new blond look? We asked the expert for tips on how to ask for the same look in the salon.
It’s finally May — and we’re so ready for nice temperatures and lighter layers. Apparently the weather has Drew Barrymore thinking about lighter hair, too.
The mom of baby Olive showed off a new blond style over the weekend — and it’s inspired us to contemplate going lighter with our own locks this spring and summer. It’s really intimidating to go that blond though, so we set out to get some expert advice before we made the commitment.
“If your natural hair color is a dark to medium brown, a double-process service is the only way to achieve perfect results,” said IT&LY Hairfashion’s master colorist Richard Zucckero.
“It is a bit more costly and time-consuming, but the end result can range from the softest butter cream or honey to true jaw-dropping platinum. Remember that true platinum is very cool, almost silver-blue, with no hint of warm undertones.”
The problem? Many colorists won’t do double-process blonding because they’re worried about ruining a client’s hair. However, Zucckero said that the new generation of blond bleaches work to “decolorize” the hair instead of fry it.
“IT&LY Hairfashion’s Easily Blond Powder and Blondly Cream are the finest examples of working with pH levels that are actually lower than many single-process colors,” he added. “This pH balance also provides more conditioning benefits.”
So, Zucckero suggests giving your stylist these specific instructions to create the perfect color:
- Part hair into 1/8-inch sections and apply IT&LY Hairfashion Easily Blond or Blondly Cream with 30 or 40 Volume Oxily Cream Developer. Process for approximately 40 minutes without heat.
- Shampoo and rinse thoroughly after desired color is achieved. Don’t add any conditioner; just towel-dry gently.
- Mix IT&LY Hairfashion’s New Passion plus Light Platinum Cream Toner or IT&LY’s Arctic Blond shades with 10 Volume Oxily Cream Developer. Apply the mixture from roots to tips and process for an additional 15–20 minutes.
- Wash with IT&LY Pure Shampoo or Advanced Color Protection Shampoo.
- Finally, condition with IT&LY Hairfashion Pure Conditioner or Advanced Color Protection Conditioner.
What if your hair is already light brown?
“No problem,” Zucckero said. It’s a less involved process with lighter-colored strands. He continued:
- Choose IT&LY Hairfashion’s super-conditioning SS Superlight Series, SSA/Silver or SSC/Ash and mix with 40 Volume Oxily Cream Developer according to instructions.
- Part hair in 1/8-inch sections using a “virgin going-lighter application” and pull through to ends.
- Process for 50 minutes without heat and wash.
- Condition and style as usual.
Will you go for lighter hair this summer? Sound off in the comments below!