This easy fishtail braided bun is perfect for medium length to long hair. Fishtail braids often seem complicated, but once you know the trick, you can create all kinds of hairstyles. The fishtail braid adds a beautiful texture to a simple side bun. Add a jeweled accessory to dress this hairstyle up for night.
1. Put your hair in a ponytail to the side. I like to loosen the hair a little so that it’s not too tight to my head.
2. Split your ponytail in two.
Hold one ponytail in each hand.
3. Fishtail braid your ponytail. Cross a small section from the left to the right.
4. Take a small piece of hair from the left side of the left ponytail and put it in the right ponytail.
5. Repeat on the right.
Take a small piece of hair from the right side of the right ponytail and put it in the left ponytail.
6. Repeat this process all the way down the ponytails. Each time, cross a small piece of hair from one ponytail to the other side. As you move down the ponytail, they cross over, forming the fishtail braid.
7. Tie the end of the braid.
Use a clear elastic as it’s small and won’t show in the finished style.
8. Stretch out your braid. The most important step! Gently pulling at the sides of your braid is the best trick to make your hair look thicker and fuller.
9. Twist the braid into a bun. Wind your braid up and around to form the bun.
10. Pin in place and you’re done! Try to push your bobby pins through the hair elastics to make the hairstyle more secure.
Love braids? Check out Hair Romance’s 30 Braids in 30 Days for new ways to wear braids every day.
More hair how-tos
How to chalk your hair
How to put your hair into a sock bun
How to get beach hair