2013 SAG Awards hair: Ladies love side parts
Julianne Moore, Claire Danes and more celebs recalled old Hollywood glamour with their deep side parts at the 2013 SAG Awards.
Chris McMillan was the hair expert responsible for Game Change star Julianne Moore's shiny strands and deep side part. The inspiration? Old Hollywood glamour, of course.
"I was most inspired by style icon Veronica Lake and the blonde in the new Dior campaigns," McMillan told SheKnows. "Her Van Cleef & Arpels earrings were amazing, so we wanted to tuck her hair behind her ears to make sure they weren't invisible."
To create the style, McMillan applied Living Proof Prime Style Extender to Moore's damp, towel-dried hair and combed it through.
"Prime Style Extender gave me the sleek, healthy hair I needed for styling," McMillan said.
Then, he parted the hair on the left and blow-dried it straight with a large, round brush. Once it was dry, he applied Firm Hold Hair Spray as a heat protector and used a 1.5-inch curling iron to create an S-curve with her bang, playing up her eyes and keeping her strands away from her face.
"I then used the same iron to bend the ends under, curling the iron in a counterclockwise motion," McMillan continued. "I wanted the look to be glossy, sleek and simple."
Zero Dark Thirty star Jessica Chastain reminded us of another famous Jessica — Jessica Rabbit, that is — with her red Alexander Wang gown and side-parted strands. Hairstylist Renato Campora created the look on behalf of Vidal Sassoon Pro Series.
Get the look:
- Prep wet hair with Vidal Sassoon Pro Series Boost & Lift Foaming Air Mousse for volume without weight.
- Spray Vidal Sassoon Pro Series Heat Protect & Shine Spray to protect the hair from blow-dryer heat.
- Blow-dry the hair with a round brush. Once hair is dry, part it on one side to give extra volume.
- Use a 1.5-inch curling iron to curl the ends for a soft wave. When hair is cool, brush the curls out with a thin-toothed comb to soften the look.
- Finish with Vidal Sassoon Pro Series Extra Firm Hold Hairspray around the face to make it stay in place with natural movement.
Hairstylist Peter Butler pulled Claire Danes' hair back into a low ponytail with a soft side part.
"If we try and make this Hollywood, it just won't work," he recalled telling the Homeland actress, so he kept it looking youthful, yet elegant, with soft pieces around the face.
"The dress is very sharp looking and I wanted to soften it by giving her a cool 'New York girl' style," he continued.
Get the look:
- Apply MATRIX Amplify Foam Volumizer evenly throughout wet hair to provide hold.
- Add texture and volume by adding Total Results Blonde Care Flash Filler Sheer Mist to the ends so they'll smooth out nicely.
- Dry the hair with a medium, round brush.
- Brush the hair into a side part and add a bit of BIOLAGE Exquisite Oil Replenishment Treatment to smooth stray hairs.
- Add Applied Design Pulse Mega Dust to the roots at the crown and lightly tease to provide height.
- Gather hair at the nape of the neck, leaving some pieces out in the front, and secure with a bungee elastic, joining the two hooks underneath the tail.
- Lightly spray Total Results Amplify Hairspray to keep it all together without adding stiffness.
- Finish with a few sprays of Blonde Care Flash Filler Sheer Mist to bring out the natural shine of the hair.
Suave Professionals stylist Jenny Cho was responsible for Amanda Seyfried's sexy style.
"My inspiration for the hair was the bottom of her beautiful dress — the layers of ruffles on her fishtail dress cascading down to the floor were so elegant," Cho said.
Get the look:
- Wash and condition hair with Suave Professionals Moroccan Infusion Shine Shampoo and Conditioner.
- Blow-dry with a large, round brush.
- Make a deep side part and separate strands into four or five large sections. Wind each section around a large curling iron and hold for a few seconds.
- Spritz a paddle brush with Suave Professionals Touchable Finish Lightweight Hold Hairspray to create a softer, wavy look.
- Bring hair to one side and tuck behind the ear. Secure with a duckbill clip.
- Add a few drops of Suave Professionals Moroccan Infusion Styling Oil to your palms and work through the hair.
- Remove the clip.
Who had the best side part at the 2013 SAG Awards? Sound off in the comments below!