The ultimate winter beauty guide
Winter is officially here — whether you like it or not. Now that we're settled into the cold temps, it's time to clean out your beauty closet and stock up on a few cold weather beauty essentials. Lucky for you, I've done all the research!
Just as we're getting over the humidity of summer and settling into nice smooth fall hair, winter seems to creep up on us. Yep, it's totally unfair. Fight back with these hair gems!
- TLC for your tresses: I've said it before and I'll say it again: I'm obsessed with this hair masque from Oribe (barneys.com, $59). It smells amazing, feels totally luxurious on your hair and it helps repair even the driest of winter locks. Enough said!
- Sleek and smooth winter locks: You know how you made that New Year's resolution to be nicer to your hair? Yep, we all did. But that doesn't mean you can't have your flat iron fun! For a sleek look that doesn't dry out your strands, try the Solano SleekHeat 450 Flat Iron (Ulta stores, $160).
- The perfect fix for bad hair days: Winter wind can wreak havoc on your strands — we all know that. The best way to deal on days when you just feel like tossing your hair up in a ratty bun? Throw on an adorable beret, like this one from Modcloth (modcloth.com, $16). C'est chic, non?
Skin care/ makeup
Winter is definitely one of those seasons where you need as many beauty goodies as you can find to brighten up your outlook. Make sure to stock up on some skin savers and makeup miracle workers like these!
- Skin-tervention: Your skin needs extra love during the cold, dry months, so treat it to something totally luxe: Tata Harper's all-natural Rejuvenating Serum (tataharperskincare.com, $150). The anti-aging collagen treatment has quickly become a must-have in my beauty closet and smells totally refreshing. Splurge? Yes. Worth it? Totally.
- Exfoliate the flakes away: Your hands aren't the only skin that's vulnerable to the whipping winter winds, ladies. Protect your face too with a powerful yet gentle exfoliant. One I'm loving? Joanna Vargas' Exfoliating Mask (joannavargas-skincare.com, $75).
- Lip love: Lip balm is an absolute must during the flaky skin months, but you don't want to sacrifice color for quality. That's why I'm crushing on bareMinerals' new Loud & Clear Lip Sheer (bareescentuals.com, $15). The luxe sheer gel coats lips with equal parts moisture and color. My fave shade? Amped pink!
- Look alive: One of the best ways to look alive when you're feeling cold and cranky? CoverGirl's new Clump Crusher Mascara (walmart.com, $7). Believe me when I tell you this is a keeper, ladies. If you want lift, minimal mascara gunk and a light feel to your lashes, then this is the mascara for you!
- Brighten up: Just because your skin isn't really goddess-esque during the winter doesn't mean you can't fake it! Gals, this is where a great illuminator, like Sonia Kashuk's Perfecting Translucent Illuminator (target.com, $15), comes in.
Just because it's cold outside and you're not rocking short shorts anymore doesn't mean you should abandon your body skin care routine. In fact, your skin needs you the most now. Show it the love it deserves with these goodies!
- Bubble your troubles away: Feeling kinda down due to the dropping temps? You're not alone! One of our fave ways to ditch the stress of life is with a nice bubble bath! Breathe in relaxation — and yummy cinnamon scents! — with philosophy's Cinnamon Buns Shampoo, Shower Gel & Bubble Bath (philosophy.com, $27 for 32 ounces) and you'll be saying "Om" before you know it.
- Shave away the winter yuck: I'm sure your man doesn't see not shaving 'til spring in the same positive light as you do, so I'm going to give you a gem of a product to get summer-worthy skin in the dead of winter: Gillette Venus & Olay Razor gives the perfect close shave without all the nicks and you don't even need shaving cream to use it! (target.com, $9)
- Moisture matters: A good body moisturizer is never more important than during the cold winter months, but a gal doesn't always want to break the bank to keep her skin smooth and supple. That's why Jergens Daily Moisture Dry Skin Moisturizer is your new best friend! For $7 you can look forward to all-day hydration and a smooth feel. Sounds worth it to me!
Bored with the typical dark nail shades that winter has to offer? Brighten up your life with these beauties!
- Nailing it: Think CoverGirl only has fab makeup? Think again! The hip brand recently released the new Outlast Stay Brilliant Nail Gloss, and I'm totally crushing on the vibrant shades. Who says your nails have to be blah like the winter weather anyway? (drugstore.com, $5 each)
- Glitter up your life: She might not have done right by the film version of Glitter, but Mariah Carey sure does know how to rock a fab nail polish, so it's no surprise that the singing sensation's new OPI collection is a winner. My fave hue? Can't Let Go, one of the brand's new Liquid Sand shades.
- Girls just wanna have fun: Obsessed with HBO's hit series Girls? Yep, so is the rest of America! Lucky for you, Deborah Lippmann has partnered with the network to release a limited-edition set of four nail lacquers inspired by each of the girls. My fave shade? Shoshanna, a vivid violet inspired by the character of the same name. You can pre-order the set ($45) now!
Any smart gal knows that beauty products can only go so far to keep you looking your best this winter. While you're at the drug store, make sure to stock up on the must-have of the season: cold and cough medicine! While you're at it, educate yourself. Robitussin's new COUGHCAST, a new interactive tool, allows people to track cough activity in their local area so they can be prepared to effectively treat their symptoms.