We all look at celebrities walking down the red carpet at movie premieres and wonder how their skin looks so amazing. Most of the time, it is because they have had a facial 24-48 hours prior, designed to get their glow on for the big day. With the holidays and festivities coming up, here is how you can do your own celebrity-style facial right at home (no entourage needed!).
Clean your canvas
The first step is to thoroughly cleanse your face. You might think that just using a regular cleanser is doing the trick, but most of the time there is still dirt remaining on your skin. To get a true fresh face, you need a little extra help with the aid of a cleansing brush.
- Luxe: Pair a facial cleansing brush like the Clarisonic Aria Sonic Skin Cleansing System (sephora.com, $199) with a high performance cleanser such as Algenist Gentle Rejuvenating Cleanser (sephora.com, $25) which contains Alguronic acid, a powerful skin hydrator.
- Budget: Try the Neutrogena Wave Sonic Power Cleanser and Foaming Pads (drugstore.com, $15). It comes with its own facial cleanser built right in. It also has two speeds to allow for daily or deep cleaning.
Exfoliate and peel
Now that you have created a clean palette, it is time to remove the top layer of skin to reveal the fresh skin underneath. Give your skin a two-fold punch by using a gentle polish (grainy or rough formulas will be too harsh on the skin) followed by a peel that has a glycolic and lactic acid combination.
- Luxe: Try the Ren Micro Polish Cleanser (sephora.com, $30) followed by the Ren Glycol Lactic Radiance Renewal Mask (sephora.com, $55)
- Budget: Start with the Neutrogena Naturals Purifying Pore Scrub (drugstore.com, $6) and follow it with Boots No7 Advanced Renewal Anti-Ageing Glycolic Peel Kit (drugstore.com, $25)
Go high tech
Now is the time to use the same high tech gadgets that are used by celebrity facialists to plump and tighten the skin. Start with a micro current device to tighten the skin all over your face, followed by a device specifically meant for the under-eye area.
- Luxe: Utilize the power of microcurrents to firm and tone your skin with the NuFace White Classic System (mynuface.com, $249), which is often used on celebrities pre-red carpet.
- Budget: Help your skin defy gravity with Olay Regenerist Micro-Sculpting Cream (drugstore.com, $28).
Hydrate and soothe
Follow your peel and firming treatment with a recovery mask to seal in your celebrity-like glow.
- Luxe: Slather on Dermalogica's Age Smart MultiVitamin Power Recovery Masque (dermstore.com, $46)
- Budget: Give your skin a moisture boost with Skin Nutrition's Phytomins Hydrating Face Mask (drugstore.com, $10)
Finish with a serum
Your final step in your movie-star facial is a vitality and radiance-inducing serum. These ultra-light formulas are better suited to penetrate the skin to deliver powerful ingredients and results.
- Luxe: For the ultimate treatment, try Darphin Vital Skin Anti-fatigue Dynamizing Serum Essential Vitality (darphin.com, $88)
- Budget: For a luxury serum without the price tag, try Vichy LiftActiv Serum 10 (vichyusa.com, $52).