Do a celebrity style facial at home
We all look at celebrities walking down the red carpet at movie premieres and wonder how their skin looks so amazing. Most of the time, it is because they have had a facial 24-48 hours prior, designed to get their glow on for the big day. With the holidays and festivities coming up, here is how you can do your own celebrity-style facial right at home (no entourage needed!).
Clean your canvas
The first step is to thoroughly cleanse your face. You might think that just using a regular cleanser is doing the trick, but most of the time there is still dirt remaining on your skin. To get a true fresh face, you need a little extra help with the aid of a cleansing brush.
- Luxe: Pair a facial cleansing brush like the Clarisonic Aria Sonic Skin Cleansing System (sephora.com, $199) with a high performance cleanser such as Algenist Gentle Rejuvenating Cleanser (sephora.com, $25) which contains Alguronic acid, a powerful skin hydrator.
- Budget: Try the Neutrogena Wave Sonic Power Cleanser and Foaming Pads (drugstore.com, $15). It comes with its own facial cleanser built right in. It also has two speeds to allow for daily or deep cleaning.
Exfoliate and peel
Now that you have created a clean palette, it is time to remove the top layer of skin to reveal the fresh skin underneath. Give your skin a two-fold punch by using a gentle polish (grainy or rough formulas will be too harsh on the skin) followed by a peel that has a glycolic and lactic acid combination.
- Luxe: Try the Ren Micro Polish Cleanser (sephora.com, $30) followed by the Ren Glycol Lactic Radiance Renewal Mask (sephora.com, $55)
- Budget: Start with the Neutrogena Naturals Purifying Pore Scrub (drugstore.com, $6) and follow it with Boots No7 Advanced Renewal Anti-Ageing Glycolic Peel Kit (drugstore.com, $25)
Go high tech
Now is the time to use the same high tech gadgets that are used by celebrity facialists to plump and tighten the skin. Start with a micro current device to tighten the skin all over your face, followed by a device specifically meant for the under-eye area.
- Luxe: Utilize the power of microcurrents to firm and tone your skin with the NuFace White Classic System (mynuface.com, $249), which is often used on celebrities pre-red carpet.
- Budget: Help your skin defy gravity with Olay Regenerist Micro-Sculpting Cream (drugstore.com, $28).
Hydrate and soothe
Follow your peel and firming treatment with a recovery mask to seal in your celebrity-like glow.
- Luxe: Slather on Dermalogica's Age Smart MultiVitamin Power Recovery Masque (dermstore.com, $46)
- Budget: Give your skin a moisture boost with Skin Nutrition's Phytomins Hydrating Face Mask (drugstore.com, $10)
Finish with a serum
Your final step in your movie-star facial is a vitality and radiance-inducing serum. These ultra-light formulas are better suited to penetrate the skin to deliver powerful ingredients and results.
- Luxe: For the ultimate treatment, try Darphin Vital Skin Anti-fatigue Dynamizing Serum Essential Vitality (darphin.com, $88)
- Budget: For a luxury serum without the price tag, try Vichy LiftActiv Serum 10 (vichyusa.com, $52).