Stylish and recyclable Halloween costumes
Ditch the days of spending hundreds on a one-time Halloween costume and invest in fashionable pieces you can incorporate into your wardrobe all year long. The unalluring pre-packaged costumes that every girl sports at parties are overrated, and honestly, not impressive. Challenge your creativity and think ahead to future outfits. Here are five current and iconic Halloween costumes that make great staple pieces in anyone's wardrobe.
Blair Waldorf — Gossip Girl
With Blair it’s all about texture and bright colors — the only darkness in the Upper East Side’s favorite girl is Chuck Bass. Here are five essentials you’ll need to bring your preppy style to a sexy Manhattan level for Halloween.
- Tights — Red, white, black, blue — Blair has pulled them all off. Stop by H&M and pick up the pair that goes best with your dress or textured skirt.
- Textured skirt — Texture, texture, color and texture. Blair’s skirts are officially iconic. Pick a versatile, bright piece you can wear with a white or colored blouse, like these gorgeous wool pencil skirts from J. Crew.
- Heels — Make a statement. Go colorful if you can, but stay true to your skirt or dress with neutral if needed. We think Blair and your wardrobe would love J. Crew’s mint-green suede pumps, that also come in other NYC-appropriate colors.
- Headband — Blair brought headbands back in vogue, and you can’t achieve her legendary rich look without one. Forever 21 has a beautiful pearlescent bow headband for under $10.
- Collared shirt — Pick out a collared shirt or blouse you know you’ll wear again. Blair would love this polka dot sleeveless top from Topshop. Tuck it into your skirt, curl your hair and congratulations, you’re Blair Waldorf. (If you want to feel extra-Blair, put some sexy lingerie on underneath your attire.)
Holly Golightly — Breakfast at Tiffany’s
Holly Golightly’s little black dress is timeless and iconic — a must for all our wardrobes. Throw on any piece from this famous outfit when you want to ramp up your glamour and practice classic style beyond Halloween night.
- Little black dress — Thankfully the most important part is easiest to find, but finding the one that speaks to you can take some time. We recommend this versatile sleeveless “Look the Part” dress from ModCloth.
- Statement necklace — Diamonds and pearls worth millions of dollars would be fabulous, but luckily for the more budget-aware, there is Forever 21. The store is perfect for costume jewelry that sparkles. This emerald cut collar necklace is dazzling. Feeling extra Audrey? Pair with some pearlescent pearls.
- Costume earrings — Ears have to sparkle too. All eyes will be on you with these sparkling drop earrings.
- Tiara — No Holly Golightly is complete without a tiara.
- Black heels — Five-inch platform pumps aren’t allowed, as Audrey practiced grace and poise. This basic heel court shoe from Zara is tasteful and chic.
Zooey Deschanel — New Girl
Everyone will recognize your costume if you dress up as the adorable, stylish and quirky Jess from Fox’s New Girl. The look is easy to achieve as well, and who knows? Maybe you’ll decide to incorporate a little Zooey into your style afterwards.
- Solid fitted and flared dress — We’re banking Jess would pick a bold and bright style when it comes to her flirty dresses. Rumor has it she would buy this lovely cherry twist rib skater dress from Topshop in a quirky heartbeat.
- Black rim glasses — Go conspicuous and extra-geeky when it comes to eyewear. Hot Topic has a great pair for only a few dollars. They make an edgy accessory post-Halloween.
- Dark brunette wig with bangs — Those bangs and messy hair are everything when it comes to becoming Zooey Deschanel. This one is the epitome of Jess.
- Heels — We say Blair and Jess would share shoes if they knew each other. These J. Crew mint-green suede pumps work for the New Girl star too.
Anna Wintour — Vogue editor and the real “devil” who wears Prada
Your fashionable friends will recognize you and your oblivious friends will want to be you. The inspiration behind Meryl Streep’s character in The Devil Wears Prada and September Issue star is a lesser known celebrity but makes an equally fabulous costume. The most fashionable woman in the world has a surprisingly achievable look.
- Short wig with blunt bangs — She has had her signature short haircut with blunt bangs since being a teenager. It’s iconic and never changes, but few can pull it off. Here is a wig that will do the trick with a little trim.
- Dark sunglasses — So Anna, so cheap.
- Structured patterned dress — She loves patterns and structure and always sticks to a posh dress. We can see Anna in this chic floral number from H&M.
- Statement necklace — We would pick another piece from Forever 21, but Anna doesn’t do cheap. It’s easy to see this gorgeous statement necklace from J. Crew around Anna’s neck — the woman isn’t afraid of risky color combinations.
- Cell phone — Just use your own and have it in your hand at all times (but only a phone, this fashionista never carries a purse).