Even if you haven’t heard about sock buns, you have probably seen one. The sock bun is the latest updo craze. By using an ordinary sock, you get a glamorous, polished hairstyle with ease.
Celebrity stylists have been using this hair trick for a while now and, in the last year, the sock bun has gone mainstream. The process of creating a sock bun is super simple and the results are absolutely beautiful. Basically, you are cheating and giving a little more prominence to your bun by utilizing an ordinary sock underneath it to create a base.
What you need:
- Hair serum
- Hair elastics
- One sock
- Bobby pins
- Brush your hair with a natural bristle brush to make sure it’s tangle-free.
- Add a small amount of smoothing serum in the palm of your hand and then run your hand all the way down the hair to the ends to tame frizzies and get a smooth, sleek look.
- Gather your hair into a high ponytail and secure it with a hair elastic. (If you want a lower bun, make a lower ponytail, but we think this hairstyle looks best up high in a ballerina bun.)
- Using a clean, unwanted sock that has lost its match, cut off the toe area and then roll it into a donut shape.
- Hold your ponytail up into the air and then slip the sock donut over it and slide it down to the base of the ponytail, so that the sock is tight against your head.
- Spread your hair evenly around the sock to create a bun, using the sock underneath as the base.
- Use another hair elastic to secure you hair around the outside of the bun.
- Twist the remaining hair in one direction around the bun and tuck the loose strands under the bun, making sure no part of the sock is showing. Secure the ends with bobby pins.
- Spritz with hair spray to keep your bun in place.
If you don’t have any spare socks, you can actually buy a sock donut ($7 at Amazon) to create your bun. You can find them online or at your neighborhood drugstore.
Sock bun video tutorial
Need a visual on how to get this look? Watch this video tutorial about how to create a sock bun.