Summer sips: 3 Cool-off cocktail recipes
Need a reason to sip a fresh fruity cocktail? Frankly, we think cooling cocktails require no justification at all, but if you simply must have an excuse, how about the fact that it's summertime? Try these blackberry mojito, summertime sangria and tropical pina colada recipes at your next cocktail party!
Sweet, bubbly blackberry mojitos are the perfect refreshing summer cocktail to enjoy with the girls.
- 1 cup fresh blackberries
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves
- 6 ounces white rum
- 3 ounces freshly squeezed lime juice
- 3 ounces simple syrup
- 1 bottle Prosecco
- Divide the blackberries among four tall glasses.
- Muddle the raspberries with a wooden muddler.
- Divide the mint leaves among the glasses.
- Muddle the mint leaves.
- Add ice to glasses.
- Shake rum, lime juice, simple syrup and ice in a cocktail shaker and then strain into glasses.
- Top off each glass with Prosecco.
Recipe adapted from Raspberry Mojito Royale
Having a party? Make this tropical sangria ahead of time and serve it in mason jars with tropical umbrellas.
- 6 cups fresh, seasonal fruit like pineapple, mango and peaches
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1-2 bottles Pinot Grigio
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- Put half of the diced fruit in the freezer.
- In a large pitcher or oversize jar, muddle basil leaves with wooden muddler.
- Add the other half of the fruit and gently muddle.
- Add wine, lemon juice and lime juice and stir.
- Refrigerate for at least one hour (but no more than one day).
- Remove from refrigerator and add the frozen fruit.
- Serve sangria over ice.
Adapted from Summer Fruit Sangria
The quintessential summer drink, a pina colada brings together the beachy flavors of coconut and pineapple in an icy cold beverage. Get out the blender and whip up plenty of pina coladas for your next summer barbecue.
- 8 ounces pineapple juice
- 6 ounces rum
- 4 ounces coconut cream
- 4 cups ice
- Add all ingredients to blender.
- Blend until thick and creamy.
- Pour into glasses and add straws.