Beauty DIY: Make an orange acne-fighting mask
Acne sucks, especially when it's where everyone can see it. Instead of caking on the cover-up and hiding under hats, try this zesty orange mask that will exfoliate as well as knock out bacteria.
Oranges are rich in vitamin C, zinc and antioxidants, all of which help fight acne-causing bacteria. Oranges, like all citrus fruits, are rich in alpha-hydroxy, a natural exfoliant that helps unclog pores and dissolve dead skin cells. If you’re going to be out in the sun after applying this mask, be sure to wear a sunscreen with at least SPF 30, as citrus fruits have a photo-sensitizing effect that can cause your skin to burn more easily than normal. The green clay, which can be bought at specialty grocery stores such as Whole Foods, draws out and absorbs oils that cause breakouts and clogged pores.
What you will need:
- Measuring spoon
- Mixing bowl
- Mixing spoon
- 1 small orange, peeled, or 1/5 glass of orange juice
- 2 tablespoons of powdered green clay, such as Fuller's Earth
- 1 teaspoon of milk
- Squeeze or pour orange juice into a bowl.
- Add the clay powder slowly, mixing gently.
- Mix in the milk, stirring gently.
- Let the mixture stand for a half-hour, then stir again. Apply to your face and neck, leaving on for 25 minutes
- Rinse with hot water.