Dressing for your body type: Plus size
Quit complaining about your curves and learn to work 'em, girls! We consulted celebrity stylist Salvador Camarena for some tips to help you show off your sexy shape.
Once upon a time, being plus size was a big drag. There weren't many celebs that looked like you, there were hardly any cute fashion brands to cater to your shape and there wasn't much advice for embracing your curvy shape.
Fast forward a few decades and things have changed a lot. These days, there are plenty of plus size celebrities who rock the red carpet in some of the chicest looks around, and every day there are more designers releasing clothing fit for curvier women.
Even with all these resources, it can still be a bit confusing to actually tackle shopping for your shape, but we're taking all the work out of the process for you! With the expert help and fashion tips of celeb stylist Salvador Camarena, we're taking one of Hollywood's hottest plus size celebs, Octavia Spencer, and showing you how you, too, can look as great as she does.
The plus size dilemma
Plus size gals have a whole lot more to love and it can be hard to drape their shape perfectly. Many plus size women fall into the trap of dressing too sexy (hey, if you've got the curves, you want to show them off, right?) or dowdy. We want you to hit it just right and we're showing you how!
The simple solution
- Nail the neckline: "A v-shaped neckline will lengthen your neck and the lines of your body," Camarena says.
- Lift the length: Camarena says choosing a dress that will hit you slightly above the knee will give you some leggy sex appeal!
- Camouflage your middle: Sure, you've got a little extra weight around your middle, but that doesn't mean it can't look sexy! A great way to camouflage it is by choosing a wrap style or faux wrap style dress, Camarena says: "With this style of dress, you instantly create a waist and your attention is drawn to the upper part of your body."
- Find the right fabric: Something that ruches is always flattering, and a nude/lace combo can make your plus size shape look chic and classy. Try this lacy Calvin Klein number for some added sex appeal!
- Hike up the heels: Sure, heels make you physically taller, but nude heels are even better, Camarena says: "Nude heels visually make you appear like your legs never end!" Throw on a pair of nude heels, like these Target ones, and you'll have legs for miles, lovelies!