9 Need-now fall beauty buys
If your summer makeup bag consisted of some lip gloss and SPF 30, then it's time to treat yourself to a whole new season of beauty buys. We've put together a list of the best and brightest makeup, skin care and body care must-haves to get you buffed, polished and looking gorgeous this fall.
- Golden-eye: Since gold lids were all over the fall runways, giving your peepers a little sparkle is a must this season. We love the subtle sparkle of Bobbi Brown Shimmer Wash Eye Shadow ($20), a sheer, pearlized shadow that opens up your eyes. We're partial to Champagne, a light golden peach.
- Fresh face: You may have opted for the skin-evening benefits of tinted moisturizer all summer (a light, easy choice), but fall calls for a little more coverage. To maintain the light, no-foundation feel you're used to, we suggest Diorskin Nude Compact Gel ($48) for light but effective coverage that feels barely there.
- Perfect pout: This season's wine-stained lips look gorgeous against a perfectly clear complexion and an otherwise neutral makeup look. Try Bare Escentuals 100% Natural Lipcolor in Ripe Fig, a rich, sultry burgundy ($15).
- Clean and calm: Colder weather means drier skin, so rather than a gel cleanser, opt for something that will calm and hydrate your complexion. Boscia Soothing Cleansing Cream ($26) is packed with skin-soothing ingredients that will keep your face looking fabulous this fall.
- Smooth operator: There's no season during which we'd ever condone skipping exfoliation, a perennially important skin care step, so make sure you don't forget. We're currently enjoying the complexion-smoothing benefits of Laura Mercier Face Polish ($30), a creamy scrub that leaves skin soft, refreshed and even-toned.
- Maximum moisture: It's time to up the ante where hydration is concerned to prep skin for the windier, colder days in our not-so-distant future. Keep your skin supple, vibrant and line-free with Clinique Moisture Surge Extended Thirst Relief ($34), a cream/gel hybrid that keeps skin hydrated for 24 hours.
- Hello, hydration: You can't start fall without a good body lotion that will leave your limbs ultra-soft all season. We'll be treating our bodies to Josie Maran Whipped Argan Oil Body Butter ($35), a lightweight, creamy concoction aimed at leaving your arms, legs and everything in between velvety soft.
- Scrub central: Just like exfoliating your face is a must-do skin care step, the same rule applies to your body. For a luxurious spa-like experience, scrub up with Carol's Daughter Almond Cookie Sea Salt Scrub ($28), which smoothes and softens skin with sea salts and essential oils.
- Soak it up: Fall can be stressful. The long, lazy days of summer are over and it's time to get back to reality. Make the transition a little easier with a relaxing soak in the tub. Pamper your body with Fresh Sugarbath Cubes ($34), an effervescent skin soothing soak that smells great (we love lemon but there are lots of options) and hydrates tired skin.