Fight frizz with a keratin treatment
If you have curly hair that’s prone to frizz at the merest hint of humidity, we don’t blame you for coveting straighter locks. Tame your unruly tresses with a keratin treatment, which will leave you frizz free and able to enjoy life sans hair-straightening stress. Take a look at our guide to keratin treatments to see if one might be right for you.
the brazilian blowout
Also known as a Brazilian blowout, a keratin treatment can be a great way to win the fight against frizz, at least for a little while. Coarse and curly hair that resists being straightened and tends to get unruly in the humidity and heat is a prime candidate for this hair- straightening treatment.
A stylist smoothes keratin, a conditioning protein found naturally in hair, skin and nails, onto hair, leaves it on for 20 to 30 minutes and then seals each strand with a flat iron. The keratin coating blocks moisture, which means frizz-causing humidity is no longer able to wreak havoc on your hair.
Where to get it
Keratin treatments are available at salons nationwide. A single treatment can cost $150 or more depending on whether you want to treat only one area (such as your bangs) or your whole head. It may seem pricey, but a keratin treatment can make unruly hair smooth and easy to style.
A keratin treatment lasts between eight and 12 weeks, making it a good time-saving solution for women who spend what feels like hours trying to style some sense into hair that just won't cooperate.
Make it last
Once you get a keratin treatment you'll want to do everything you can to make it last.
- For the first three days, avoid washing your hair, and steer clear of styling products (gels, hairspray, etc.). You must give the treatment time to fuse to your hair without interference.
- Avoid putting accessories (barrettes, hair bands) in your hair for the first day after your treatment for the same reason as above.
- Don't use shampoo and conditioners that contain sodium chloride or sulphates, which can break down the keratin coating and bring your new smoothness to an early end.
- Stay out of the pool and the ocean. Salt and chlorine break down the keratin.
- Shampoo and condition with products formulated for keratin-treated hair. Try Rusk Deepshine Smooth Keratin Smoothing shampoo and conditioner to keep hair smooth and shiny.
More hair care tips
What is Keratin? It's a smoothing treamtment that works to change the structure of your hair by coating the follicles and fighting frizz. Since the treatment can get pricey, make sure you do eveything you can to maximize the benefits. Not ready to spend the cash?
Here are some more of the best products for fighting frizzy hair>>>