We know, we know: Your days are busy, and by the time bedtime rolls around, you don’t have the energy to treat your skin with the care it deserves. So we’ve streamlined your routine down to five simple steps that will keep your skin glowing.
Fixing your face at night is just as important as the time you spend making it up in the morning. Clear, even-toned skin helps you look — and feel — your best. But you can’t wake up fresh-faced without a little prep work the night before. Get into the habit of taking care of your face by following these five skin care laws every night. You’ll be so glad you did!
The 5 laws of skin care
Wash your face
Daily washings keep your skin healthy and beautiful. “Washing in the evening to remove daily residue buildup is even more important than a wash in the early morning,” says Sasha Prince, a skincare specialist and aesthetician at New U Plastic Surgery in Austin, Texas. She recommends using only mild products and avoiding harsh scrubs and cloths. “To cleanse your face properly, use warm water to cleanse, and cool water to rinse,” adds Dr. Bernard Gram, creator of GRAM Skincare.
3 facial cleansers we love
- For normal skin: Bliss Fabulous Foaming Face Wash ($34)
- For combo skin: Mario Badescu Enzyme Cleansing Gel ($20)
- For dry or sensitive skin: Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser ($8.49)
Use a toner
Toner will deep-clean your pores and remove any dirt, makeup and grime that a cleanser might have missed, says Gram.
Top toner picks
- For hydration: Juice Beauty Hydrating Mist ($22)
- For oil control: Murad Clarifying Toner ($22)
- For skin balancing: Boscia Balancing Facial Tonic ($24)
Apply retinoid cream and salicylic acid
Vitamin A retinoid creams “penetrate the cell wall to encourage genuine health on a cellular level,” explains Prince. Use them daily during the week, but give your skin the weekend off. Follow with salicylic acid, which “penetrates the oils that can clog pores and cause breakouts,” she says. Beauty bonus: Salicylic acid also reduces redness and inflammation.
Apply eye cream
“The skin around the eyes has fewer hair follicles and does not absorb creams as readily as the skin on other areas of the face,” explains Prince. That’s why it’s important to use a product specifically designed for eyes. Gram Skincare’s eye rescue can decrease dark circles and puffiness under the eyes. It also helps keep the delicate skin around your eyes healthy. Gently apply the cream on the eyelid and all around the eye.
Other eye cream options:
- Under $20: The Body Shop Vitamin E Eye Cream ($17.99)
- Under $30: Clinique All About Eyes ($29)
- Under $40: Ole Henriksen Ultimate Lift Eye Gel ($38)
“The most important thing to do nightly is to moisturize,” says Gram. Your evening moisturizer doesn’t need to include sunscreen, and Prince notes that your nose and chin may not need as much moisturizer as the rest of your face. Don’t discount the healing power of a good night’s sleep when it comes to looking — and feeling your best.
Night creams of note:
- Under $20: Yes to Carrots C Through the Night, Night Moisturizing Cream ($14.99)
- Under $30: RoC Multi Correxion Anti-Gravity Night Cream ($27.99)
- Under $40: Avon ANEW Platinum Night Cream ($38)
That’s all there is to it! Five easy steps for one beautiful face.